Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4 cans of Duplicolor spray on bedliner... turned out great for the $55 invested. One wheel I screwed up on...the fumes and beer must've got to my head b/c my finger was covering the nozzle at one point... cause a few pea sized drops one the wheel that don't really follow the texture. Good thing is, it's an easy fix for that or any scrapes. Next I just gotta get those damn stickers off! Enjoy!

artsy pic! haha

·
Registered
836 Posts
Looks great!!!

What did you use to mask off the front of the tire? Same pieces of paper?
Did you sand first?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
index cards! I can't take credit for it though, someone else on here or jk-forums had done that... As far as prep work, I found an 80 grit flap abrasion wheel that I stuck in my drill and just went to town. I took off the finish (in most spots).. you could say I cut some corners. However, after some research it seems this stuff sticks to anything and using that 80 grit roughed it up plenty to make the majority of it stick. The can says use 200 grit but who has time for that? :) After sanding, I took them to the pressure washer down the street. Dried em off and rubbed completely down with rubbing alcohol. 3 coats on the rear, 3 coats on the front. If it flakes off, whatever...easy fix!

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Nice.

I am thinking of doing the same thing to my factory wheels. But I want to do highlights of the aluminum around edges where the weights are and some in the inlets. Trying to debate on whether I want the center Jeep Plate black or it's original color. Going to use self etching primer first then the Duricolor bedliner plaint.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice.

I am thinking of doing the same thing to my factory wheels. But I want to do highlights of the aluminum around edges where the weights are and some in the inlets. Trying to debate on whether I want the center Jeep Plate black or it's original color. Going to use self etching primer first then the Duricolor bedliner plaint.
I thought about leaving a strip around the edge just for an accent but decided it would be quicker not to :) I bet it looks pretty good! The center caps looks good original color as well... so many options! haha... I saw that self etching primer but didn't know too much about it. It sounds pretty easy though.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahhh very nice!

Thanks for the tips...

Again, looks great!

Something I've been thinking of doing until I can justify buying new black rims.
I was in the same boat...I've really fallen in love with these 18"s though... I'll be honest, there isn't any place to do any serious off roading so I'm going with the style vs. functionality. I wouldn't mind some 16"s and big beefy tires with a lift but I like the mpg I currently have :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nice...this is suddenly looking like a better option than dropping a grand on new wheels, although this doesnt do anything for the backspacing of the stock rims, and i'm just not sure about spacers.

Anyways, nice job, how long did it take you?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice...this is suddenly looking like a better option than dropping a grand on new wheels, although this doesnt do anything for the backspacing of the stock rims, and i'm just not sure about spacers.

Anyways, nice job, how long did it take you?
started grabbin supplies at 5...actually started around 6:30. Finished at 11:30 and fell asleep around 4:30 am. those fumes really got to me! I've been debating spacers as well... If I ever do a lift, it won't be until warranty is long gone.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Also, how strong is that stuff? As in, how easily will it be scraped off? Was it hard to put the lug nuts back on tight without scraping some off?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, how strong is that stuff? As in, how easily will it be scraped off? Was it hard to put the lug nuts back on tight without scraping some off?
It seems to be pretty resistant... you can't scrape it off with a finger nail thats for sure; a blade you could widdle a chunk off. The lugs didn't scrape away anything. I'm sure it did where there was contact on the actual wheel itself though.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
I love the look of that especially on your black jeep. Do you think it would look good on my steel wheels? Steel wheels tend to rust so a nice coating would help. Has anyone put black rims on red rock crystal? Does it look good?

·
Registered
57 Posts
started grabbin supplies at 5...actually started around 6:30. Finished at 11:30 and fell asleep around 4:30 am. those fumes really got to me! I've been debating spacers as well... If I ever do a lift, it won't be until warranty is long gone.
This looks good. Is there a reason you chose Duplicolor over say Rustoleum? I am going to do this and obiously want to use the best, most durable product. I want to see what just the spokes look like blacked out on the Sahara 18". Taping off is going to be a bitch but all black is too much for me.

I am going to do it mainly because mine are scarred up all over with rock rash, and I like the looks, and I don't want to spend big money on new rims yet.

I have been running spacers for a couple of years on and off road in all conditions, except for the expense I know of no draw backs what so ever. Last summer I upgraded to 295/65/18 Duratrac and the spacers allowed no rubbing. Without spacers there was a little rubbing on the swaybar, not bad really but the Duratracs only ended up only being 32" x 11.5".

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
...reason you chose Duplicolor over say Rustoleum?
none at all! just saw pics from other people and liked it. I went to menards and saw something similar but didn't get it. It might've turned out with the same result... beats me! From what I've read though it's the best spray on liner in the market, as far as ease goes at least.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts