Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to add some tires to a 2013 Rubicon 4dr on AEV Savegre wheels with a 2.5" AEV lift.

Will be doing mostly highway driving in CA with lots of trips to Tahoe for snowboarding, so I need something that will handle well on packed snow/ice. Also definitely looking to take it off road, although my experience is very limited, so the terrain will likely be fairly basic until I build up some knowledge about what my Jeep can handle.

I thought I was sold on the Duratracs, but then I started reading posts about problems with balancing them and with sidewall punctures, although the latter wouldn't be a huge issue for me since I won't be going too hardcore with the off road...yet.

Read a lot about the Coopers handling great on/off road as well as in snow/ice due to the siping. Also, the price on the Coopers appears to be a good chunk less.

I'm just about ready to flip a coin on this, so any suggestions from people who have used both would be much appreciated.

:hide:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Not going wrong with either. You understand that one is an aggressive AT, while the other is a MT? The Cooper is going to be louder on the road, being a MT. I have the Duratrac and am happy with it. Also have DT certificates in case one does fail on a trail. Balancing can be an issue on any tire, especially tires like these. My experience has been that it all depends on the guys skills who is doing the balancing.

·
Administrator
2020 Jeep Gladiator
42,806 Posts
I can't say anything about the Coopers but I love my 315/75R16 Duratracs. I just swapped out my ProComp Extreme M/Ts. They whisper on the road compaired to the ProComps and everyone says they are fantastic in the snow. Also, I have a 2-1/2" lift.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone. It'll probably just come down to making a final decision when I order since there seem to be great things about each of these tires. Worst case scenario I run the first pair and end up not liking something and switch 'em up.

Btw, killer rig too, Beastmaster. Can't wait to have all my parts ordered and get this thing built.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I own the Cooper STT in 315/75/16s on a '12 JKU. Off road they are very good, rocks, hard pack, mud, you name it, on road, they are a little loud, but heck I didn't by a Caddy did I.
My pal has an '06 TJ with 33" DuraTracs and he can hang with me, and he said they are pretty quiet on road.

As for the GY DT balancing issue, by STTs took a lot of weight, but they are good til at least 85, I havent been above that.

I hope you have 373s or better because either tire is going to add some weight and take some hp to move them.

I lost approx 1-1.5 in my mph, but gained everywhere else.

As for snow I cannot say.

If you are going to do lots go highway driving, maybe GY DTs would be better.

Good luck

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts