Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this has literally been all over the internet but ive looked through most the forums and haven't found anything. Im a new jeeper. Love the community feel. Just got my first. A 97 wrangler and it has a leaky steering gear. I want to get the durango steering gear but i am a little on edge to order the wrong one. Does anyone know the part number, I would greatly appreciate it

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
The steering boxes are fairly easy to rebuild. I did one on my 99 dakota. Took about a day taking my time Most of that was getting it off the truck. It's in a tight spot. But the tj is right out in the open.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
The stock steering gear box will handle what ever size tire you throw at it. The weak points are the tie rods tie rod ends and ball joints

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The regular version for you're year, not the plow version. Thats what I ordered for my 98, and my buddy put one on his cherokee with 35s. I blew my stock one when I hit something on the trail and the new one I can definitely feel a difference, it moves the wheels easier. Its stronger too, I would do it for sure if you need to replace yours

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I left out that I was talking about the Durango Steering box. Sorry if i confused you.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I used the snow plow version from NAPA because it was the same lock to lock as the stocker. I have read that the snow plow was a little bit stronger. I noticed that it is easier to turn the 35's. Everything else is the same.

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
Just finished this swap this morning as well. Still had the stock box from 98 in mine and it just started leaking a couple weeks ago. I have 35s so I was surprised it has lasted this long. The steering is a little tighter now and no more drops of oil everywhere I park! Lol

·
Registered
389 Posts
This is what and who I went with. Pretty good price and has been on for over a year with no issues (knock on wood). '99 Durango non snow plow 4x4 5.9L.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts