Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running this set up? If so, pictures? And any chance you could measure and let me know exactly how far, if at all, the tires stick out past the fenders?

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Tons of the 15" setups (hence it's name, The Combo...coined by ESP, if I'm not mistaken). But I don't recall seeing any 16's.

Surely there's some adventurous soul out there, though.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tons of the 15" setups (hence it's name, The Combo...coined by ESP, if I'm not mistaken). But I don't recall seeing any 16's.

Surely there's some adventurous soul out there, though.
Yeah,

I really want "The Combo", but my jurisdiction does not allow the tires to stick out past the fenders. And my understanding is that "The Combo" sticks out 1.5"-2". Since the 15" MB72 have 3.75" back space, and the 16" have 4.5", I figure that will bring it in 0.75". ANd with the 285/75R16's bing an inch narrower than the 33/12.5/15 of "The Combo", that should save me another 0.5". All theoretical of course, so some real world measurements would really help.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have MB chaos 5s w 4.5 BS w 285/75/16s and they definitely stick out past the fenders a bit. I can snap a picture for you tomorrow in the daylight if you like.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I was in the same boat when I was looking into new wheels and tires but i just went with the 15x8 with 33x12.5x15 and am taking a chance. I see plenty of jeeps running around here with similar setups and their tires out past fender flares by 1.5/2"s. WXman informed me around a week ago when I was searching that a 17x8.5 MB72 with a 285/70 tire will match up even with the fender. Perhaps he can maybe chime in and provide a bit more information because i'm not sure how the 16" will fit and the 17" starts adding on a good chunk of $$$.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have MB chaos 5s w 4.5 BS w 285/75/16s and they definitely stick out past the fenders a bit. I can snap a picture for you tomorrow in the daylight if you like.
That would be awesome, thanks!

I was in the same boat when I was looking into new wheels and tires but i just went with the 15x8 with 33x12.5x15 and am taking a chance. I see plenty of jeeps running around here with similar setups and their tires out past fender flares by 1.5/2"s. WXman informed me around a week ago when I was searching that a 17x8.5 MB72 with a 285/70 tire will match up even with the fender. Perhaps he can maybe chime in and provide a bit more information because i'm not sure how the 16" will fit and the 17" starts adding on a good chunk of $$$.
Yeah, the price definitely starts ramping up quickly above the 15". I am very tempted to just take the chance, but it would be very pricy if I am wrong as I would have sold the stock wheels/tires and would have to go buy all new, and then would probably have a touch time selling "The Combo".

·
Registered
354 Posts
I am curious to see what you come up with. I am considering 16 inch wheels as well but for a different reason. I am concerned about the towing/load limit that "the combo" has(33X12.5X15--2205 lbs per tire). I like the idea of going to a LT285, D rated tire to ensure that a loaded jeep with a trailer doesn't wander on the road. Maybe my concerns are unfounded.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts