Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up my new 15 JK Wednesday. Dealer had great deal on Rugged ridge 17s with MTZs 33x12.5. Loved the look of them (sticking out beyond the fenders), and dealer said they'd fit with no lift. If this is true, another option is the duratrac 315s?

I don't want to blaspheme, but I don't want to lift it but want real nice wide tires. I've seen pics on the forum of the 285s and they didn't have the look I wanted (sticking out beyond the fenders). What do I need to do / buy?

I'm new at this jeep customization so please be gentle....

·
Registered
256 Posts
Running 315 duratracs on a stock jeep with stock fenders isn't really a good idea, you may be able to get away with it with proper backspacing and flat fenders. Your most likely going to rub a lot on the road during steering and for sure off the road. I've heard of people barley rubbing with no lift on 33 inch tires as well.

I know you said you don't want to lift but an inexpensive budget boost would get those 315's under there and with proper backspacing you should be fine. Not to mention it would look real nice too.

Hope this helps.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,189 Posts
X2 on the post above.

I had 33" DuraTracs on my jeep (with 4.5" backspace) and I most definitely had rubbing at full, hard turn before I installed my 2.5" lift. With 315s I can only imagine how much worse the rubbing would be. :(

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you get 285's put on a rim with 4.5" backspace they will def stick out past the fender and you don't need to lift. See my pics below. I'm running 285/65R18 Trail Grappler's (roughly 33" x 12") on 18"x9" Fuel wheels w/ 4.5" backspace. No lifting, no rubbing, and sticks out past the fender.

Going to a Duratrac 315/70R17 pushes the tire size up to 34.4" x 12.7" - you'd definitely need a lift for that size:
Wrangler DuraTrac® Sizes & Specs | Goodyear Tires

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok great thanks for the advice! Looks like the 285s are the way to go...for now. What spacers should I look into to get the "past the fenders" look I'm going for?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Ok great thanks for the advice! Looks like the 285s are the way to go...for now. What spacers should I look into to get the "past the fenders" look I'm going for?
There are a few different brands you can look into comes down to price and width. A lot of people like to run 1.5 inch spacers if using stock rims. Spidertrax, synergy, Alloy USA, and Rough Country are just a few different brands that have them. Also on a side note they are sold in pairs. You would probably be looking at about $200 for 2 pairs. The other option to avoid wheel spacers is buying after market rims with a 4.5inch or less backspacing but thats another ball game!

·
Registered
208 Posts
My unlifted 2015 Jeep is currently running Duratrac 315/70R17s mounted on Rockstar 2 wheels. Factors that allow me to do this are:
1. I've got a Rubicon Hard Rock, which sits a little taller in the saddle that Sport/Sahara.
2. I trimmed 1" off my Mopar Rubi rails to keep the rears from rubbing them.
3. The Rockstar 2 wheels have 4.5" backspacing.
4. Duratrac 315s actually come in at about 34.25" in height.

When I first installed them, I had zero rubbing on the road, even when turning post to post. However, last weekend I added a winch up front, and I've now heard rubbing 3-4 times. The extra weight squatted the front end just enough to cause a little rub when I hit a significant bump/pothole.

My current setup would never work in an offroad situation. I'd end up tearing a fender off pretty quickly. Current setup is temporary; my lift has shipped and will be installed before I hit the trails.

Reactions: drrags
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.