Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a set of duratracs on a few months ago and they weren't balanced correctly. I brought it back a week alter and they said that it was fixed, but they still felt shaky when I sent over 50 - more that I think they should. I just got time to bring it to a local Firestone and they just called me and said that they balanced 3, but one of them was too hard and was asking for too much weight. I have the stock wheels on, but they are dipped black - not sure if that makes a difference because I dipped the wheels with the stock tires and the ride didn't change. Has anyone heard of the wheel being too hard to balance?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same story here. 33x12.50r15 Duratracs on Level 8 Trackers. 4 balance perfectly but 5th is calling for excessive weight. Spun the tire on the rim 180d but still called for 12+oz. Plan on calling DTD to see if they can help.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, do I have any recourse? I bought one on ebay and 4 from Mavis. Mavis had to get the 4 from a partner in Georgia because the tires were backordered around the country for like 5 months. Is there a way for them to tell if the tire is bad and for me to get a replacement? For now, the guys just used the spare and put that on the car and they said it was a little easier to balance, but it's not perfect.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same story here. 33x12.50r15 Duratracs on Level 8 Trackers. 4 balance perfectly but 5th is calling for excessive weight. Spun the tire on the rim 180d but still called for 12+oz. Plan on calling DTD to see if they can help.
Cool, let me know what happens. Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'd go to a Goodyear dealer and have them check the bad one out. They should have no problem with warranty on their tires, the Firestone place can't do anything.....at least I don't think Firestone sells Goodyears.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I'll do. The new balancing helped a lot, though. It used to shake pretty bad at 50 mph, now at 75, it shakes very little.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Some tires just don't balance well. We fought with a set of Hankooks had to get em balanced 3 times.
Odd on cars a lot of time it's the tires that are unbalanced but on bikes it's more often the rim.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I went through the same thing. When I did my first tire rotation, it shimmied pretty bad, so I removed the tire, put the old one back on, and took it back to the dealer.
He asked me how I knew it was that tire, so I told him, because when I took it off the shimmy stopped! He said they would look at it. Two days later he called me and said they tried everything, and couldn't get it to balance, so they gave me a new tire, no questions asked. Plus I run balancing beads, so I knew it wasn't a balancing weight issue. It's been fine ever since. I just wish they had been a little more careful with my new rims!!!

·
Retired Moderator
100,572 Posts
Before they made that call, did they brake down the tire, and re-position it 180 degrees on your rim? And then try to balance it?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Before they made that call, did they brake down the tire, and re-position it 180 degrees on your rim? And then try to balance it?
They told me that they did. I just called Mavis and they said that they'd contact the dealer that they got the tire from and get it squared away because that does happen sometimes. They just want something from Firestone stating that they tried to balance the tire and it was asking for too much weight. I'll keep you guys posted, in case you run into the same problem one day.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have to have mine 285/70 17 at least one of them balanced almost every rotation. good thing its free.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I called Mavis and they wanted some kind of proof that it was the tire - they wanted a printout of the report that Firestone did to determine that it was the tire and not the rim. Firestone said that they couldn't print a report, but I could take a picture of their screen send it to Mavis. I presented that to Mavis and they said that they'd see if that would be ok. I got a call back from Mavis and the guy said that he contacted Goodyear and they'd have a tire for me tomorrow morning and they'd swap it out. I'm still weary, but we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've had defective tires before that didn't balance. I also noticed my Duratracs didn't balance quite right with a no-name balancer. I eventually looked up who had a Hunter Road Force machine locally and gave them a shot. It's smooth as glass now up to 80mph which is all I need for this brick.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I went to Mavis and they swapped the tire for me. I asked them not to balance it because they clearly didn't know what they were doing the first 2 times, but at least I got a new tire - now I'll bring it back to Firestone and get it balanced there. Hopefully, this one balances correctly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm going through the same problem right now. Bought 5 duratrac 315/70/r17's from DTD, and the local Goodyear shop showed all 5 of them needing 10 - 13oz of weight to balance. DTD was great about taking them back, but the next set of 5 I got from Goodyear have the same problem. The LTS said they see this a lot on the oversized Goodyear tires, and while they can balance them, its a lot of weight and that I would still feel some vibration.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts