Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want better tires for my '17 Recon than the KM's. KM's are not at their best on the highway, in rain/thin snow or ice. My use is mostly highway, some desert and rocky trails, forest service roads, some ice and snow crossing the Rockies and hunting in the mountains. Neither DT nor WP work in stock size: DT are passenger car rated in that size, and WP aren't made, except in mud tread. I don't want to lift the Recon, so need to stay near the 255-75-17 size. I have 3.73s for better highway mpg, etc.

I am considering 235-80-17 which are 1/4" less diameter, .8" narrower section width (should be good for snow), and E rated in both DT and WP--good for those rocky trails. I really don't want to blow a tire with cut sidewall, and then worry about "what next" since I carry only one spare tire. Of the two, the Wild Peaks are cheaper from Discount Tire. Both seem well liked on the forum, with the main complaint about Duratracs being the sidewall, presumably in the car rated sizes, not the LT sizes.

What are your thoughts and advice?

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
I've used both tires in 33" size. If I were you, I'd go with a 265/70-17. I don't think you'll be happy with those tiny and narrow 235s.

The Duratrac used to be 3-ply sidewall on the LT-E rated versions, but that is no longer the case. All Duratracs now have the 2-ply sidewalls whether they are P, LT-C, LT-D, or LT-E rated. The Wildpeak has a much better sidewall regardless of load rating.

As far as rain traction, the Wildpeak blows the Duratrac away. No contest. The Duratrac was one of the worst tires I've ever used in rain.

In snow, it depends on how deep. Deep snow, the Duratrac digs a little better and I prefer it. But in light snow, the Wildpeak works better.

In mud, the Duratrac worked great for me. The Wildpeak packed up a little easier and didn't work quite as well.

If I had to give both tires an overall rating, the Falken would win. The Goodforayear does many things well, like keeping weight in check, mud/deep snow traction, and appearance. But the Falken is just a better all-around tire.

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,261 Posts
I have the P rated Duratracs that I run in the winter and they are awesome on the slippery road up to the resort I patrol at. But I would not run them on the rocky trails here - even in the higher load ratings. I run the original KMs on the trail in the summer.

When I lift the Jeep I am planning to go to Falken Wildpeak AT3W in 34x11 to get decent winter traction AND good performance on the trail without having 2 sets of tires.

Reactions: 15anvil

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've had both as well. 31" Duratracs on a TJ and 32" Wildpeaks on a WK2. The Wildpeaks did everything just as well or better the Duratrac, especially in treadwear. Given the price difference between the 2, Falkens all day long. I'd probably choose them even if the price was the same.

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
The Duratrac was the hybrid gold standard a few years ago. But is now a dated design... With it's soft sidewalls, it's still a great riding tire. But it gets noisy as it wears, in many cases it wears fast and it's susceptible to trail damage.

The Falken is a better design, quieter and much more durable.

But Goodyear is going to continue to sell a bunch of Duratracs.

Reactions: 15anvil and Bobnh

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Wildpeak has two versions of that tire, one is cheaper because it doesn't have the 10 ply sidewall the more expensive one does.
I say this because I too was torn on the at choice, but went with the ko2 because it is a great looking tire, sidewalls are superior to the duratrac (i have proof, a Subaru outback destroyed 70% of it's drivers side on my left front and never even scraped the sidewall), 3pmsf rated and it is accurate, great snow and slush tire here in NH, I loved my km2s but needed to get 25k miles per year now, and the new Rubicon comes with them.
Tough choice but the Apple to apple 10 ply wildpeak vs ko2 were similar price, so I went with the ko2 because I knew what I was getting for performance.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
417 Posts
I run the Wildpeak AT3W's in 285/70/17 flavor up in the upper midwest, and hands down I like them better than the Duratracs. I found they grip a little better in the snow and are quieter on the road. The tread life seems to be a bit better as well, however, I'm running the E rated and not P rated. If I had to do it again though, I'd go with the P rated for a little cushier ride.

I use them for pretty much exactly what your intended use is. Only difference my altitude is a little lower. I do have a 2.5in mopar lift on my jeep, 3.73's, and my MPG hit was very marginal.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took advantage of the Discount Tire 20% off Black Friday deal and got a set (5) of Wildpeak AT3W's in 235-80-17 (even though they are tiny and narrow, lol). The tread is 7.25" wide vs. 7.75" for the stock size KM tires, and they are 1/4" shorter in diameter. So now I belong to pizza cutters international. I just don't deserve big tires, I guess :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you get a chance could you put up a picture of what those tires look like mounted on your jeep?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
400 Posts
I took advantage of the Discount Tire 20% off Black Friday deal and got a set (5) of Wildpeak AT3W's in 235-80-17 (even though they are tiny and narrow, lol). The tread is 7.25" wide vs. 7.75" for the stock size KM tires, and they are 1/4" shorter in diameter. So now I belong to pizza cutters international. I just don't deserve big tires, I guess :)
same tire, same sale. different size (285/70/17). having them installed on Wednesday :drinks:

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,261 Posts
I just put the Falcon Wildpeak AT3W in 285/75R17 on my Jeep. Now we have some snow I will go try them and report back. They have been as quiet as the DTs and as good in the wet on the freeway at 70.

I ran DTs all last winter and they performed great.

·
Registered
117 Posts
After hours of research and contemplation, I think I'm going to go with WP at3w in the 255/80r17 with my stock suspension no lift. 1" taller same width as my current stock KMs.

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,261 Posts
I just put the Falcon Wildpeak AT3W in 285/75R17 on my Jeep. Now we have some snow I will go try them and report back. They have been as quiet as the DTs and as good in the wet on the freeway at 70.

I ran DTs all last winter and they performed great.
It snowed here "unexpectedly" a couple of days ago. Turned the roads into a slushy mess. Now it has frozen hard a couple of nights. The AT3W have been every bit as good at the Duratracs in those conditions.

·
Registered
31 Posts
After hours of research and contemplation, I think I'm going to go with WP at3w in the 255/80r17 with my stock suspension no lift. 1" taller same width as my current stock KMs.
It'd be great to see what these look like under your jeep when you get them mounted too. This is my preferred size and wanted an AT so this might be the tire I end up with too, since they seem to be getting good reviews from people here.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
While they are shown on the falken website as available in 255/80r17 E rated 10 ply...
They don't seem to be in stock anywhere.
Too bad. They look just about right for stock suspension or with leveling spacers.
Now I'm back to considering the falken MT or something else. Maybe the at3w will show up this spring?

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
While they are shown on the falken website as available in 255/80r17 E rated 10 ply...
They don't seem to be in stock anywhere.
Too bad. They look just about right for stock suspension or with leveling spacers.
Now I'm back to considering the falken MT or something else. Maybe the at3w will show up this spring?
I suggest you try the Discount Tire website and a local store to see how long it would take.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I suggest you try the Discount Tire website and a local store to see how long it would take.
I did both. I suspect they are listed by the mfg but not yet available anywhere.

·
Registered
156 Posts
such a great thread here! I was sold on DuraTrac due to my last Jeep and how much I liked them, so that's what I just puton my JL, but after reading these posts...hmmm...I think I'll go with the WP next time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts