Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help here. Looking to get new tires but I want to make sure they will fit and not rub. I will be running my stock rims and would like to get 285/70/r17 Duratracs. The DuraTracs also now come in the stock 255/75/17 size. Thats basically why Im unsure what would be the best choice. If I go with the 285 will I need to also need to reprogram the JK (how will the larger tires affect my shift points, speedo,miles,etc) I know this has been covered but I'm still unsure and don't want to screw up. Thanks in advance

Stock rims & NOT Lifted will it work?

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
You may want to try here:

Tires & Wheels - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Post a copy of this message there and maybe someone will get back to you quicker. Or you may see the answer to your question there. :)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
The 285 tires will fit on your rims, however, you will need to install wheel spacers to avoid rubbing at full turn lock. Also, with the 285 you may get some rub at full flex due to not having a lift.

As you mentioned, you'll want to get a ProCal to adjust the speedo for the new tire size.

I avoided all these issues by just installing the stock size. I think they look great and they're less expensive. Also don't need to worry about your ball joints failing as fast or the potential loss in power (depending on gearing) due to the larger tires and weight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was also thinking about the package from DTD. 33x12.50r15 Duratracs and wheels. I just dont know if this would work without the jeep being lifted. Why is this so difficult?

·
Registered
99 Posts
i had 285's on 17inch xd rims and rubbed at when i was fully turned on stock. It will not affect your jeep greatly. Definitely it will be more sluggish thats why i got the aev procal when i installed my 2.5 RK lift. My next mod will be 4.88 gears and 35s because 33s are just too small.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Don't worry about potential power loss. I can't even tell a difference & I live in a area with lots of long hills. I had spacers until about a week ago. They were no problem as well.

If you use pro cal or something similar to change tire size and tire pressure. it helps to drive it around to calibrate your TPMS to the jeep, either before calibrating or after. I changed tire pressure setting, but the alarm kept going off, because the TPMS wasn't programed to the the jeep.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was also thinking about the package from DTD. 33x12.50r15 Duratracs and wheels. I just dont know if this would work without the jeep being lifted. Why is this so difficult?
You will regret not getting 35s, but if your set on not lifting then the 33 DT's will work fine.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
My personal opinion is that a 2-door JK looks great with 33s and the 4-door JK looks better with 35s.

There are many pros and cons but here are some things to think about if you go with 35s.

Cons:
Expensive
Negatively affects MPG
Negatively affects acceleration
Wears out CV joints and ball joints at an increased rate (upgrade ball joints and gusset the CV recommended)
Negatively affect braking (longer distance required to stop)
Brake pads wear more quickly
Spare Tire won't fit "safely" on the stock carrier (upgrade recommended)
Upgrade gearing to at least 4.10 (recommended)

Pros:
Looks nice
Gives ~1 inch more clearance than a 33" tire

1 - 9 of 9 Posts