Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I have to click the links, but I can see the photos.

Looks like new tread depth is 18/32" according to Goodyear.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Tread depth and year code

The week and year code are in a small oval on the side of the tire. May be on the outside or inside. First two numbers are usually the week the tire was made and the last two are the year. In the picture, the tire was manufactured in the 16th week of 2008. This is an old spare tire I had that is 9 years old, notice the light cracking around the date. Shows you what age does to rubber. Sun doesn't help but age alone even with a car kept inside will do this. 5 to 7 years is where many people will change out their tires although I have a neighbor who finally changed tires after 13 years!

Stan
04 TJ

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,910 Posts
can you guys see those photos?
If you want to post your pics directly into a message, right click on the imgur.com pic and select "Copy Image Location". Then left click on the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the message you're posting and paste the contents in the box. ;)

Anyway, I thought the coin trick was that you use a penny and if you can see Lincoln's head the tread is too thin and time to replace the tire.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I keep a tread depth gauge., I measured my DT's in two spots when they were first installed. One in the middle and the other on the outside. (See the red dots on the image below). I keep this image so I can always go back to the exact same region of the tread to check how they are wearing.

New, the inside was 18/32 and the outside was 16/32.. (The outside measurement was on top of a 2/32 tread wear indicator bar so it's not as deep).

After 5000 miles, I've worn down 1/32 from the center of the front tires and 2/32 from the center of the rear tires. The outsides of the front and back tires are still at 16/32 which leads me to believe I was a bit overinflated... I was running 35 PSI and dropped down to 32 PSI after I did the 5000 mile measurements.

So at 2/32" wear for every 5000 miles you should have a fair bit of life left.

Just to add. -- My driving style (mostly highway) and my location (where the tires saw 3 months of snow) probably skews things and makes it hard to do a direct comparison.... But based on what I've seen with my DT's those tires might have closer to 10K on them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Tire wear is subjective. My Duratracs have just over 31,000 miles on them. They've been 5 tire rotated every 5,000 miles and still have a heavy 12/32 left.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Tire wear is subjective. My Duratracs have just over 31,000 miles on them. They've been 5 tire rotated every 5,000 miles and still have a heavy 12/32 left.
Out of interest, that's 1/32" every 5166 miles, which is what I got on my fronts in their first 5000 miles. There's a slight difference between my front and rear, but that should even out once I start rotating and introducing the spare.

(Since I just hit 5000 miles recently, it will be this weekend). :)

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Out of interest, that's 1/32" every 5166 miles, which is what I got on my fronts in their first 5000 miles. There's a slight difference between my front and rear, but that should even out once I start rotating and introducing the spare.

(Since I just hit 5000 miles recently, it will be this weekend). :)
I say it is subjective simply because of all the variables. My JKUR is heavy to start with and I carry a serious amount of gear. The AEV 2 1/2 lift handles it well along with the updated brakes. I run 26# of air cold all the time. Proper balance comes into play also along with driving style. I've been known to drive over 1500 miles of interstate to get to wheel for only a few hundred miles and then home again and it all seems to balance out.

BTW I really do like these tires but when I go to 37s I'll have to use something else unless Goodyear gets with the program and offers them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts