Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I don't post here much but i'm on here reading all the time. I hope I'm not beating a dead horse but after asking all my jeep friends I thought I'd get your opinions as well.

I have a 2011 Sport S. No plans on lifting, keeping the sport S wheels for now maybe some stock rubicons at some point.

Just rolled 47k today and my tires are showing it. I want to upgrade but not exactly sure which to go with. This jeep is my daily driver and I live in Philadelphia, PA. Don't do much off roading yet but would like to more and more. Deal more with snow (Snowboarding in poconos and VT) more than I off road.

I'm reading that Mud Terrains aren't great on wet roads and packed snow. I have friends with them and praise them. (As I'd expect)

I've been reading that it seems the Duratrac may be the better option for my situation even though I don't like the look as much. So if anyone wants to give me some first hand options that'd be amazing.

Lastly I have a ton of amazon gift cards that would lead me to get some 5 mud terrains for $500 bucks. Or I can get 5 DT's for about $850... so cost is a factor too...

Thanks in advance and please forgive me for beating a dead horse here.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have MT's on my Jeep and my buddy has Duratracs (We both live outside of Philly) and I can not WAIT to swap my MTs for Duratracs. The siping on the Duratracs makes all the difference for me honestly in the inclement weather.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My MTs perform great in SNOW....but we are in Slush/Ice country haha. When we have 6+ inches of powder my MTs are loving it...when we have 3/4" slushy mix, not so much.

·
Registered
355 Posts
No plans on lifting, keeping the sport S wheels for now maybe some stock rubicons at some point.
My stock MTs on Rubi rims performed flawlessly during last year's snow storm in ATL. If you're seriously considering Rubi rims, look for take offs here/Craigslist.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
MT tires do perform well. Where they falter is icy roads where max rubber on the road with siping rules.

Keep in mind the DT's are a hybrid between an AT and an MT tire. They are more aggressive than an AT but not quite a full MT. The MT will be better off road and the DT on the road so it just depends on your preference.

·
Registered
973 Posts
2012 JKU bought new...Stock 255/75/17"s now but will go with the Duratrac's for replacements...I want to stick with stock size and Goodyear makes the Duratrac's in the 255/75's so it will be an even swap. Just a better tire all around for my area in Pa.... Until l get the money for some mods and lifts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Duratracs have the look of MTs(even better look IMO) but the benefits of an All-Terrain. Go with the Duratracs, I have the 255/75/17 and have no regrets at all. In fact I would say they ride even better then the SRAs do on the street.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I've had my stock MTs in the rain, snow and ice. If you have sections of road where it's solid ice then things get interesting but the traction and stability control do a really good job. If it's patchy ice then the MTs aren't that bad.

Coming from California and hearing all the people talk about how horrible the MTs are in the wet/ice (I've had them before on an XJ and they were...sketchy as heck in the slush) I was concerned that having them out here in central Illinois would be an issue. We've had rain, freezing rain, ice, and snow...just in the past week. :) I never felt like I had to or should avoid driving, part of that is because of how well the stability control works, part of it has to do with how they maintain the roads here (Parking lots are another story), and part of it is that the MTs aren't horrible. I had Goodyear RS/As on other vehicles (XJ, Nissan Titan) that came from the factory and they were HORRIBLE even in the rain. I've been pleasantly surprised with the MTs in inclement weather so far.

Will I replace them with MTs down the road? That I don't know, but for now I'm in no hurry to get rid of them.

Good luck with your decision. I'd say you're probably better off with the Duratracs but could survive with the MTs.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Maybe $900? I use Discount Tire/America's Tire and they price match tirerack.com as well as their own discounttiredirect.com.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks. Guessing I can get $250 for the MT's so a net of $650ish. Hmmmm. Question being is the difference b/t the tire sets worth $650. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Why anyone would sacrifice performance for looks is beyond me. Get what works best for your type of driving, duratracs will perform much better than MT's for winter road conditions.
Pay slightly more up front but the performance makes up for the small extra cost.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Been tearing around Minnesota in a JK since 2008 with BFG MT Rubi takeoffs. We get some weather here sometimes, dontchaknow. They work great! Duratracs are probably better on ice as you'd probably expect with a siped AT. If you drive on frozen lakes with regularity, AT's would definitely be worth the it. Regardless, BFG MT's will not cause your Jeep to spontaneously go fling itself off into the ditch or explode when it rains or snows. They are a good tire and there are many other good tires as well. Buy what you like based on what you realistically will be driving in, but don't by the hype that MT's are deathtraps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey everyone thanks for your valuable opinions and thoughts. I think I'm going to end up with some DTs. Anyone have a great place they use to order them???

Thanks again

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you are looking for stock size, tire rack carries the 255/75/17 Duratracs. I ordered mine from there, but expect to pay around $35 a tire for shipping. I actually have mine on craigslist right now, because I just got bigger tires...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts