Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Ask and you shall receive. You can check some vids on my youtube in my sig of them in action as well. They are good in everything but mud really.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,897 Posts
A lot of people seem to like the Duratrac's a lot. Good traction in the wet , great wear, and quiet. I think they look tough too. Jeep tires gotta look mean.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I've had a lot of fun over the past 25,000 miles I've had them on. It's a good daily driver/occasional offroading tire. They have good traction in all that I've tried them in (I don't like mud though so can speak to that).

However, it does have a weak spot... thin sidewalls.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A hole in the sidewall can happen to any tire.I was out wheelin with a buddy many years ago and had a 20 year old set of Desert Dogs on my jeep{showin my age} and he was running a new tire{I forget the brand} that was supposed to be bullet proof,At the end of the day he had cut 2 sidewalls at two differant waterfalls it the creek we was following. I had to loan him my spare to get home. Nothing worse than a flat on the trail.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
A hole in the sidewall can happen to any tire.I was out wheelin with a buddy many years ago and had a 20 year old set of Desert Dogs on my jeep{showin my age} and he was running a new tire{I forget the brand} that was supposed to be bullet proof,At the end of the day he had cut 2 sidewalls at two differant waterfalls it the creek we was following. I had to loan him my spare to get home. Nothing worse than a flat on the trail.
Sure it can happen to any tire, but with only a 2 ply sidewall, it can happen more often. My next set will likely be GY MTR with 3 ply kevlar. Duratracs use polyester for the sidewalls.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sure it can happen to any tire, but with only a 2 ply sidewall, it can happen more often. My next set will likely be GY MTR with 3 ply kevlar. Duratracs use polyester for the sidewalls.
I like the MTR's. I don't know anyone around here running them. Do you have the Duratracs now? I should have my lift delivered this week. Still not sure what Tires to order...It is keeping me up at night..lol

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I like the MTR's. I don't know anyone around here running them. Do you have the Duratracs now? I should have my lift delivered this week. Still not sure what Tires to order...It is keeping me up at night..lol
Yes, I still have the Duratracs and will run them until they are worn out. Tires are too expensive to swap out before they are done.:nonono:

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
If you air down your duratracs to around 12 you will have all kinds of slices in your sidewalls. I literally have probably 30-40 slices, but none through the tires. Rausch creek and Rock run beat my tires up bad. I am really happy though. next will be MTR's however.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
We all need to realize that the tires are not gona NOT get cuts when we play hard in the rocks. The question is, do the cuts go through the sidewall or damage the structure of the tire detrimentally. The duratrac is a good tire, but if you play on the rocks alot, I would look for a thicker/stronger sidewall.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts