Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for some 315/70/17 tires. Pretty much have it narrowed down to the 2 choices above. The jeep is not a DD and I don't do any hardcore wheeling. I like the look and light weight of both of these tires. Price is very similar. I'm open to other comparable tires too that are similar in size and weight. Anyone have opinions, good or bad?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I sold my 3 month old Duratracs after a little branch (almost a twig) took out a sidewall..
A few months later a friend with semi-new Duratracs had one self-destruct on a fire-road.

·
Registered
230 Posts
You might to also take a look at Mickey Thompson ATZ P3. They are a hybrid tire, so they will run a little quieter than the MTZs. They also have 3 ply sides, so they'll be tougher than the Duratracs. I've had them since summer and really like them.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have the Mickey Thompson MTZ in 285/70/17. I was deciding between these two tires as well. I went with the MTs because of the discount I received from 4WD on this forum. I couldn't be happier with the tires. They ride great on the highway and look good too. I previous tires were the BFG ATs. You won't notice the road noise hardly at all. I live in AZ and have had the top down a couple of weeks and the road noise is nothing... My soft top is a lot louder when it's up. Get the MTs, you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have had Duratracs on 3 of my rigs, and on 2 of my wifes and can say only positive things.... I have never had any issues whatsoever with any of them, they have given me fantastic mileage and work well for the driving that we do.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
In the market for some 315/70/17 tires. Pretty much have it narrowed down to the 2 choices above. The jeep is not a DD and I don't do any hardcore wheeling. I like the look and light weight of both of these tires. Price is very similar. I'm open to other comparable tires too that are similar in size and weight. Anyone have opinions, good or bad?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Duratrac is a hybrid AT/MT and compares closer to the ATZ P3 which is also a hybrid AT/MT than the a dedicated MT like the MTZ. The ATZ P3 is built on the same carcass as the MTZ and like the MTZ is fairly bomb poof. The DuraTracs although a great tread pattern are not as tough as the either.

I run the ATZ P3 and it is easily one of the best off road tires I have ever owned over the last 35 years. There is a rather long review on the MickeyThompson ATZ P3 in the tire forum on this sight.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I have DT's and don't really wheel hard and have had zero issues. Not to say I don't wheel, I do but its not rock crawling or going thru mine fields. The tires wear great and are good all season for where I live.
I cant say bad about Mickeys because I never ran them but am interested in what out there for my next set. So far I am still sticking with dt's but who knows.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I went with the MT BAJA MTZ 34" for the following reasons.
#1. They look great
#2. They perform great and are a proven tough tire. We run gravel. Hills, and mud.
#3. Highway manners are good but if that is critical go with a AT. But will sacrifice OFFROAD performance.
#4. The size and weight of the MTZ on the 17" wheel are good. We run these and they are around 34"x12".

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went with the MT BAJA MTZ 34" for the following reasons.
#1. They look great
#2. They perform great and are a proven tough tire. We run gravel. Hills, and mud.
#3. Highway manners are good but if that is critical go with a AT. But will sacrifice OFFROAD performance.
#4. The size and weight of the MTZ on the 17" wheel are good. We run these and they are around 34"x12".
Those do look good on your Jeep. Like the wheels too.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I was in the same dilemma. Went with the MTZs and haven't looked back. They've done great in the snow and the little bit of off roading i've done.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
The DuraTracs are great in the snow. They are really good in all conditions. I run them on the 4Runner and while I do not take them hardcore off road, I do take them on forest service roads, fire roads, etc. No issues. They are an excellent tire but the sidewalls are thinner than my MTRs (JK has these) so I do not use them on the JK. If you're not hardcore wheeling, I'd get the Duratracs. They are light, not too loud, and grip really well. You don't get snow in Texas but we get snow and rain in Colorado, and they do really well. The only other tire I'd consider for an aggressive AT is the KO2.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How much of a power loss will I feel with either of these? I have the 6 speed with 4.10's. Just don't want a dog when it's all said and done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Since you have the 6-speed and live close to sea level, you will be okay. You will feel a power loss but I''ll bet that the DuraTrac is quite a bit lighter. I run 35" MTRs but live at 6,000 feet and 9,000 feet. I have 4.10s and an auto and climbing these steep highways can be annoying with the power lose. I feel it much less at 6,000 feet and am sure I would be totally fine at sea level. Check the weights. My MTRs are around 65 lbs. I would not want a heavier tire.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
How much of a power loss will I feel with either of these? I have the 6 speed with 4.10's. Just don't want a dog when it's all said and done. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the auto with 4.10 and I think it is perfect fit for my MT 315/70/17.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts