Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
I can't speak for the Duratracs but I loved my MT/Rs when I had them. I switched to A/Ts and I can't wait to get some MT/Rs again.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Well I know you didn't ask about these, but've I got the gy wrangler authoritys, which are I guess a take off of the duratracs and I love them.. had them on the ranger for about 10k miles before I moved them to the jeep.. I had wrangler radials before and then once I switched to these it was night and day.. I can go places and do things in 2wd that I had trouble doing in 4wd w the regular radials..
As far as mud they seem to handle like a champ, and snow is like dry pavement..

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
I have the Goodyear duratras and have been very happy with them. What little mud I've put them through they've gotten me out. My brother in his truck got stuck in the same spot with his Toyo M/TS but I suspect its more the vehicle then anything.

In snow they have been great to me. Haven't had a real accumulation to try them out but I have heard nothing but praise. They have a lot of siping so that helps a lot.

I like to wheel in rocks and dirt trails, so I wish they had a 3ply sidewall, but it hasn't been an issue yet.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
DasfieldmarshelsYJ said:
Hopefully ill be getting the duratracs is there a lot of Hum on the street ?
There is a quiet hum around 40mph but really the softtop/transmission noise/radio drowns it out. They are much, much quieter than my friends KM2s.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
I have both. At the same time. That's right you heard me. The MTRs w/ K are so much louder and heavier than the Duratracs. They also don't deform as well offroad. However they are a ton stronger. I sliced a duratrac aka why I have MTRs on right now in the rear. The Duratracs are awesome in everything, mud is their weak point but they aren't shabby. The MTR is supposed to be great in everything. I will know more after it snows.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm happy with my MTR's. I think the DT's may be a little low in traction for my needs. My Jeep is not a DD so road manners are not a factor.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
I'm happy with my MTR's. I think the DT's may be a little low in traction for my needs. My Jeep is not a DD so road manners are not a factor.
You would be amazed how well the duratracs do, I actually really appreciate them now that I have wheeled all over with them. The sidewalls are definitely the downfall.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I had duratracs on my TJ. Replaced 2 tires this year due to sidewall damage. One sliced at Rausch Creek on greens, the other got a torn sidewall on the street. Now TJ is gone and I have a new Jk with SRAs I wheeled at Rausch this weekend. I'm going to get duratracs for it. Yes sidewall is weak but I need a tire I can do light wheelin with that has good street manners for the 98% of the road miles I use my jeep for. Duratracs are terrible for thick mud like you see at Wharton State forest in NJ, but they are aggressive ATs, not MTs.

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Green Bay TJ said:
I had duratracs on my TJ. Replaced 2 tires this year due to sidewall damage. One sliced at Rausch Creek on greens, the other got a torn sidewall on the street. Now TJ is gone and I have a new Jk with SRAs I wheeled at Rausch this weekend. I'm going to get duratracs for it. Yes sidewall is weak but I need a tire I can do light wheelin with that has good street manners for the 98% of the road miles I use my jeep for. Duratracs are terrible for thick mud like you see at Wharton State forest in NJ, but they are aggressive ATs, not MTs.
Were you aired down any? I was wheeling blues and Golden wheeled blacks with no sidewall issues. We were around 13psi or so with 33x12.50x15s

·
Premium Member
28,214 Posts
Were you aired down any? I was wheeling blues and Golden wheeled blacks with no sidewall issues. We were around 13psi or so with 33x12.50x15s
i kept at 15 psi(31x10.5 on a pig) on greens and blues with out a problem that same weekend. and id hazard a guess that i am more likely to destroy a tire than either you or Ryan. never had any damage

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
i kept at 15 psi(31x10.5 on a pig) on greens and blues with out a problem that same weekend. and id hazard a guess that i am more likely to destroy a tire than either you or Ryan. never had any damage
Wrong :rofl:, sliced a duratrac just driving beside a lake (okay so the pieces of slate were like 10 feet long and sharp as a diamond, in the bottom of a quarry) and it was the worst feeling ever. However I beat the snot out of them at Rausch Creek, Rock Run twice, and Doe valley, without a complaint. It's all about being smart. I didn't see the rock I drove into when I sliced the sidewall, and looked at it later. I couldn't believe how sharp it was, and positioned perfectly to slice the tire. It really comes down to bad luck.

·
Premium Member
28,214 Posts
Wrong :rofl:, sliced a duratrac just driving beside a lake (okay so the pieces of slate were like 10 feet long and sharp as a diamond, in the bottom of a quarry) and it was the worst feeling ever. However I beat the snot out of them at Rausch Creek, Rock Run twice, and Doe valley, without a complaint. It's all about being smart. I didn't see the rock I drove into when I sliced the sidewall, and looked at it later. I couldn't believe how sharp it was, and positioned perfectly to slice the tire. It really comes down to bad luck.
a good point, but with the crap IFS i have, i need to rely much more on available grip than you nice flexy solid axle all round folks do. add in the extra weight and im pushing things a bit. either way, the duratracs have done more than i ever asked, and for that reason i am very happy with how they perform.
only reason i would not keep them is that they are not available in the size that i currently have in mind. granted ,the better half may have more say in that than i do at this point. :hide:

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Can't speak for Duratrac but the new MT/R's are crap. I had a set and they lasted me 3 months before I sold them. There a Jack of all trades but a master of none. Ill stick with my Goodyear MT's no side lugs but they tear it up on the rocks.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
schnutzy said:
a good point, but with the crap IFS i have, i need to rely much more on available grip than you nice flexy solid axle all round folks do. add in the extra weight and im pushing things a bit. either way, the duratracs have done more than i ever asked, and for that reason i am very happy with how they perform.
only reason i would not keep them is that they are not available in the size that i currently have in mind. granted ,the better half may have more say in that than i do at this point. :hide:
:rofl: I definitely understand. An your right you are pushing it but your smart too. They are a great tire.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I was aired down to 15-20 psi at RC and at 35 psi on the street. first time I had these tires Offroad when I sliced the one. I'm thinking just bad luck that day. I think I sliced it in a rutted out puddle so don't really know what kind of rock or root I sliced it on. Aren't duratracs just 2 ply on the sidewalls?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I love my MT/R's. I'm running 37x12.50s and they are surprisingly not real noisy on the road for me. Together with a 10" wheelbase stretch they actually seem to give me a pretty nice ride as well. I've also got a couple buddies running MT/Rs and they have had great luck with them both in mud and on the rocks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts