Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Help me choose please...

• Duratracs

• BFG AT

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although my Duratracs have plenty of tread left they are exhibiting some feathering due to poor toe adjustment for too long (front spring sag did me in before I knew it) as well as the beginning of some rot on the tread area (they were manufactured approx March of 2015).
So, buy another set of Duratracs (close to 90,000 miles on current set) or my always previous go to tires, BFG ATs?
I posted awhile back that I had no weird wear patterns or rot... I guess I needed to look closer for rot and when I added new springs a few weeks ago and got an alignment the feathering really became noticeable while driving. Around town they still drive ok, but on the highway I can really feel and hear the lumpy-ness of those inner lugs. They actually feel smoother on gradual turns as I think the weight shifts off the inner lugs a bit. 🤷‍♂️
So with a long trip from Illinois to Maryland coming up soon im looking for tires.
Duratracs or BFG AT? (315-70R17)

·
Retired Moderator
100,754 Posts
Also, take a look at the Falken Wildpeak AT3.

Reactions: Shark_13

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Load range C or E on BFGs?
Duratracs are D.
Tire height is pretty much identical.
Both fit my wheel.
BFGs are a few lbs heavier but have 3/32’s less tread.

·
Premium Member
2014 JKUR
235 Posts
Talk to your tire dealer.....ask specifically about the BFGs and their experience with them currently vs. a few years ago.

I used to swear by the BFGs as one of the best all around tires (and good in snow) you could find. I never had an issue with balancing them or odd wear patterns. Then I swear that something changed in the past few years. Odd wear, excessive amount of weight to get them balanced, frequently requiring re-balancing, etc. Maybe it was just bad luck, but through a few sets on the family fleet, and friends, I "believe" that they aren't what they once were. YMMV

Edit.....perhaps the change is with the introduction of the KO2s in 2015? Just a thought.

·
Commercial Member
7,891 Posts
Also, take a look at the Falken Wildpeak AT3.
Yep this.

I've run the ko(original) & ko2, and the duratrac.

The duratrac specifically got loud, didn't wear nicely, and wet traction went downhill fast after about 40k.

Have the Falken at3w on the work truck now, they are better so far all around . Performed great last winter. Quiet and smooth on the highway.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,816 Posts
I think it depends on how you use your Jeep.
I am not a fan of Goodyear tires.
That aside, do you need/want a tire like the DT? It is a more aggressive tread, that works better in the dirt but does not work as well on the street. Both the KO2 and the AT3w work really well on the street and work well in the dirt with pretty much anything short of real mud.
I also would pick a C load range tire over a D or E load range tire for a Jeep. But some people and where they wheel need the tougher sidewall of the E load range.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. Mostly street driving w trails mixed in. This is a big choice for me as I don’t buy new tires on a whim, obviously if current tires have been on for 90,000 miles. ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I love the KO2’s. As my Jeep is a daily driver. Had 70k on my LR3’s set before I traded on my Jeep and they had plenty of tread life left. I replaced my Terra Grappler G2’s with a new set of KO2’s on my Wrangler and love them. We actually had snow this year and they did great!! Excellent in the rain as well.

·
Premium Member
2014 JKUR
235 Posts
I am leaning towards the Toyo Open Country ATIII....for me, in Colorado, the fact that it is 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake rated is attractive. And I am interested in the 285/75/17 Load Range C size. At 33.9" tall and just over 11" wide it really ticks all of my boxes.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
Up north the Duratrac is the go to tire. Work well in winter, are studable if required and work decent in mud. The 10ply version does have 3 ply sidewalls so they are a little tougher then the D rated variant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
I've had both. The Ko2's last forever, but it's because the rubber compound is much "harder" than other tires. If you see a vehicle with them go squeeze the tread blocks then compare it to a Duratrac. The KO2's would also pick up small rocks and gravel and throw them out as if they where it was designed to do that. Also, all BFG tires measure smaller than advertised. The 37x12.5x17 set of them I had measured out at 36.5 inches off the Jeep and (I kid you not) 35.8 on my Jeep at 32 psi. All of the tires are usually a full inch smaller diameter than advertised. The Duratracs are a softer rubber, and have more traction especially in snow and mud. They're also a very lightweight tire. I'm on my second set of them (35x12.5x17) and I love them, I'll have a third set.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I am leaning towards the Toyo Open Country ATIII....for me, in Colorado, the fact that it is 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake rated is attractive. And I am interested in the 285/75/17 Load Range C size. At 33.9" tall and just over 11" wide it really ticks all of my boxes.
why not the Toyo at3 in 35x11.5-17 c rated?

Reactions: zgfiredude

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I went back and forth on this exact choice for a while and finally went with the Duratracs. Here is my thread with some more information (HERE).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts