Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to reduce the amount of dust getting into my Jeep?
I have a '13 Sport with AC (not sure if it has a cabin air filter). The hard top stays on for most of the time since the Jeep is a DD, and the "varying" weather conditions (rain) here. Is there a particular airflow or AC setting I should/not use when driving on dusty trails?
Yes, I know its a Jeep etc. etc. and I should enjoy eating dust, getting wet and having the interior vandalized when I remove the top, doors, and fold the windshield down....:nonono:

·
..shall not be infringed!
4,666 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Use the recirculation and don't follow people close on dusty roads. Pretty hard to prevent dust in dry climates. Enjoy your Jeep.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Take your glove-box out (it's easy, look and figure it out) and behind it you will will see the filter box. It takes two rather expensive filters, but it's cheaper than the small fortune it costs to get them from the factory (they come with the auto A/C option.)

Here they are at Amazon: Wix 24017 Cabin Air Filter : Amazon.com : Automotive

Might be cheaper elsewhere....
Commentators are saying that filter does not fit a Wrangler, only Grand Cherokees?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Thanks !! Up Hill Bill, I wondered where that filter was located....

Here's what I did.... When I installed the Or-Fab tire carrier , I pulled out that ugly black plastic "grill" or Louver in the Center of the tail gate. I then took a large piece of foam Rubber and folded in in two and stuffed it inside the gate. Put the ugly grill thing back in place. That really helped reduce the dust flow into the cabin..
If you want to stop it more, just turn on the blower fan, low or medium is plenty, that gives you a little inside pressure and it keeps the dust out.
I drove mine Tuesday on gravel /dirt roads all day long and didn't have a dust problem all day, but we were running the A/C with the fan on low most all day...
Good luck ! "BH"

·
Registered
53 Posts
I didn't know my 2012 Sport came with that filter. I pulled the glove box to see if it was there, and yup it had one. I bought it off the lot, and it had AC. I threw it away about a year ago. Just to make sure I never have to worry about a plugged filter. Nothing else I ever owned had one of those.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Don't fight it, just clean it. I picked up an Air Blow Gun for my air compressor, I use it to blow the dust off the dash, dials, center console, etc. Then I vacuum to get the dust out. Then next week or two I do the same thing. Avoid putting armor all on your dash or anything the dust is going to stick to.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey thanks folks. I'll go check behind the glove box, and see if I can find those filters locally. So than I just run the AC when I am in the dust. Sounds easy enough.
What about the "Recirc" button? Does that stop any air from being drawn into the cabin? Any benefit in doing that? Getting really sick of wiping and vacuuming.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Use A/C on recirculate. The door behind the glove box will open and draw air in from that area instead of the dusty air outside.

·
Registered
149 Posts
RockAuto has the proper filters to fit a JK (Wix 24302 is the right part number to buy or cross reference). Two filters (included in the box) are needed. There is not adequate space opening to install a single filter without probable filter damage. RockAuto was the best price I could find ($17 less 5% discount for returning customer, not cheap but better than other prices I could find when shipping is factored). Amazon is $22.63 and no shipping if you have Prime membership. Not sure about shipping to Canada...

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just looked at RockAuto and see there is now a more generic brand filter that is $9.45. For what it is worth...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey thanks Up Hill Bill, just installed the 2 filters. Very easy even for a total numpty like me. The cost!!!!! $57 including tax for both, from the dealer. I did not have time to shop around as I needed them for Monday.
I will run the AC on recirculate when I get into the serious dust (thanks Lusus Naturae).
I think I'm ready for the dusty trail.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Worked like a charm, dust so thick I could barely see, and a clean interior. Unbelievable :thumb:

·
Registered
557 Posts
After every trip I use a leaf blower to blow out the inside of my JKUR hardtop. Works pretty well as long as you remove small, light items.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Also, RockAuto has a 5% off discount code right now. Enter it into the "how did you hear about us" box:

·
Registered
162 Posts
This thread was finally enough motivation for me to order these. Ordered through RockAuto...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts