Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hardtop and a trektop NX on a 2012 2 door. I am thinking about placing a Duster and Windjammer on my XMAS list. I will be using them with trektop in safari mode. My goal is to have the duster on most of the time and carry the Windjammer for the unexpected rainstorm. The Jeep is garaged overnight.

Does anyone with this configuration have experiences to share? Any specific brands or models that do better with the JK?

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I have it and love it. I run my Trektop NX Safari top with a Bestop windjammer and duster for about 7 months out of the year. Through the summer all I run is the safari top and keep the Duster in the back for Just in case rain. Now without the windjammer their is a possibility for rain coming in on hard down pours but it isn;t real bad. I do use a bungee cord to pull up on the back of the dust so the rain doesn't roll back into the rear floor board but love the look it is worth the trouble. I also added a noodle between the door surround and roll bar to help stop rain in the corners. You can see the noodles in the pic below. Again, I love the look and the versatility.

Safari and duster only

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
The nice part about using the windjammer with the Safari top over the Bikini top is that you can let the windjammer connections a little more lose were it comes back further on the sound bar so the seats can come back further. On the bikini, you have to pull it tight so it is under the sound bar and not leak but that not an issue on the safari top since the safari covers well past the sound bar. Also with the windammer removed and the duster Safari only, the seats can go back real far if needed and the duster can be pulled back and folded behind the rear seat in a under a minute if you need the rear seat quickly

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
If you notice in the first pic above, I found if you move the rear safari strap and wrap it a little around the roll bar and attach it to the side of the rails right to the side of the roll bar the duster will wrap pretty tight to the roll bar as it should. Also replace the safari top rear bar with a stronger bar so you can drive at highway speeds without flapping. I used a 4' galvanized 1/2" pipe from Lowes plumbing department with end caps to not only cover the threads but give it a little more lenth because you need 49" to fit good. I even used it with the windows in with no issues

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks that helps a lot. Great looking Jeep, love the wheels.

The flapping of support is definitely an issue with trektop. I had use velcro to stop it from slipping out. I will try the pipe next summer for the highway stability.

·
Registered
176 Posts
i use the wraparound windjammer. i got tired of taking the nx windows on and off. i leave the wraparound connected to the duster and if it rains i put it up. i leave it down when its not raining. i didnt buy the sound bar cap. i theaded velcro straps through the j-tabs then around the sound bar. visibilty sucks out the back window. i also replaced the side buckles on the windjammer with velcro straps. if it rains and i know im not going anyway, i dont even bother with the side straps...the part that goes into the door surround keeps it in place good enough.

·
Registered
58 Posts
How is the noise when driving with that combo? Currently I'm dong the bikini top, duster and wind jammer combo, but its kind of loud. I thinking of purchasing the NX top next and run it with just the duster and jammer.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The pain of zipping the windows in and out is exactly why I am looking at the windjammer duster combo. I didn't zip on my windows all last summer. I probably should have just purchased a safari top instead of the NX, but I do love the flip open feature. As for the back area, the only creature that rides in the back of my Jeep is my 95lb dog, so I never have the back seat in. Next summer I will probably remove the back carpet.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Same thing only different...have a TJ....HAD a jammer got a WRAP AROUND jammer....been using the duster, bikini, WA jammer set -up for several years...go to a halftop in the winter. If I had a Safari top...or one of the frameless tops my back windows would all be like brand new...from staying at home. I feel I could PROBABLY go year round with that combo as the Jeep sleeps in the garage at night.

If you get a jammer...get a wrap around.....I had mine "modified" so that the window is held in place with 2" velcro and a "net" type of material like on my half-top..Love that option!!
Good luck!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts