Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
These fenders are 8.25" front and 5.25 rear.according to Allen's Off-road who is a dealer.
Thanks for the info I need wider to deal with MD laws.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Looks like from FedEx tracking my fenders and liners should be delivered tomorrow (Tuesday). I'll install, photo, and report back as soon as I get them on. Maybe by Thursday or so.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
DV8 fenders and liners came in today, in 3 packages. Sitting in my garage, pending my getting home in a little bit. Nicely packaged. Will try to install mid-day tomorrow. Hope it's not hard! Haven't looked at any directions yet -- any specialty tools I'm likely to need for removal or installation?

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Sigh... 3 boxes came in yesterday; all had been mislabelled and shipped to texas instead of GA. 3 managed to get rerouted to proper address, 4th is being sent back to DV8. Looks like a FedEx error.

I unpacked the front fenders and both sets of inners (rear outers are missing) last night. Build quality is top notch, nothing at all to complain about there. Installation instructions were missing for fronts but they emailed me a set today. Clear instructions with very good, well-lit photos.

I'll probably attack the installation this weekend, even though the rears won't be in till early next week. Nothing says they have to be done at the same time.

As for special tools, only a nutsert tool that fits 6mm nut rivets. I didn't have one so that's being sent from Amazon.

·
GO STEELERS !
2,165 Posts
Hope that setback doesn't effect your testosterone levels !

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

·
Registered
107 Posts
Anyone know if these work with the Rugged Ridge snorkel?

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Can you post pics. i'm not a fan of the spot welds but they do have the look i'm going for. I also love the price. Gonna make a decision tomorrow.
Glad to DA, but looks like I'm not going to install the fronts till this weekend, and the rears won't arrive till next week. But I'll post up at such time as I have something to show.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Okay, I took a couple hours this afternoon (it's GORGEOUS in the ATL today) and worked out in the garage installing the front fenders and liners. Rear fenders won't be here for a couple more days.

Pics (observations to follow):

As it looks to the eye in real life (proper exposure):

Over-exposed to show detail:

Straight-away:

Straight-away from above:

Installation:

Both instruction sheets said 1-hour install, and when it was all said and done I finished the fenders in 66 minutes (first one took 40, second one 26), and the liners in 50 minutes (30 and 20). Not difficult work.

The fender instructions are clear, and the photos are good quality and easy to see. Once you have your old fenders off, it really is a matter of setting the new fender on the welded OEM bracket and then running maybe 7 bolts through the holes where the plastic clips went that hold the OEM fenders on. Finger tighten them, go back and hit them all with a 13mm socket from the outside and a 13mm wrench on the back. Had to drill out the front one (you work back to front) a little because it just wasn't aligned. The instructions say that if this happens to further elongate the hole in the DV8 fender. Being a lazy-ass I looked at the thick steel of the fender and the triple-ought gauge tinfoil of the Jeep sheet "metal" and chose to drill a larger hole in the Jeep instead.

Instructions for the liner were needlessly obtuse. Timeout for a rant:

When I was a kid I built lots and lots of model cars, planes, tanks, you name it. Literally hundreds. Back in the day things that required assembly ALWAYS included an assembly sheet with drawings by a professional illustrator who knew how to depict clearly and concisely how things fit together. My father did this at Lockheed, for the C5A and C130 cargo planes. I have magnificent drawings, some of them over six feet wide, of how you screw a C5 together. Every spar, every panel, etc. But sometime along about when the digital camera gained popularity, builders of products that have to be installed or assembled started using Cletus from shipping to take underexposed pics of the assembly process. Then they printed them on a 30-dollar printer that has two intensities: black and white. No shading. No detailed indication of whether Tab A and Hole B fit together or are on opposite ends of the piece.

But I digress...

The liner instructions are poor. You are told to bolt the two pieces of liner together at your bench before fitting to the Jeep, but there's no indication of how they go. Several errors preceded my getting it right the third time.

After that, it went on easy and the second one took 20 minutes, as I said.

I will give it a good ride tomorrow and report back if there are any undue clangs, buzzes, or other noises.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Not bad @NoGaBiker. How long did it take?
LOL, because I'm an unusually nice guy I'm going to play along and pretend like you were just joking there. :D Because I know you're not stupid.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
21 - 40 of 64 Posts