Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while now and still no DW after replacing the steering stabilizer. Can't find anything else that might be wrong with any suspension components so I'll just play this one by ear. I will be doing some brake work this weekend (replacing pads, rotors, drums, etc.), if there are any thoughts on this procedure I welcome all comments and suggestions.

I have a friend who just bought a Cherokee and he was asking about this forum. I told him just because he has a Jeep he doesn't have a Wrangler and he probably won't find anything of much use here. If anyone knows of and forums for Cherokees' I'd be happy to pass it along.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,389 Posts
It's a fact that replacing the stabilizer can mask the symptoms of death wobble but trust me that the death wobble was not actually cured by the new steering stabilizer. It's kind of like placing a band-aid on a skin cancer to hide the cancer from view.

The two most problems that actually cause DW in a Jeep is the combination of an out of balance tire working together with a trackbar that has worked loose. Those are not the only causes, just the most common. Get the tires balanced perfectly and tighten the lower mounting bolt for the trackbar. 45 ft-lbs for 2003 and newer, 55 ft-lbs for 2002 and older TJs.

When everything is kosher, a TJ should not have to have a steering stabilizer at all to keep DW from happening. :)

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
manis902 said:
It's been a while now and still no DW after replacing the steering stabilizer. Can't find anything else that might be wrong with any suspension components so I'll just play this one by ear. I will be doing some brake work this weekend (replacing pads, rotors, drums, etc.), if there are any thoughts on this procedure I welcome all comments and suggestions.

I have a friend who just bought a Cherokee and he was asking about this forum. I told him just because he has a Jeep he doesn't have a Wrangler and he probably won't find anything of much use here. If anyone knows of and forums for Cherokees' I'd be happy to pass it along.
Well if he bought a Xj or Zj Then his front suspension is like yours. In fact the Xj was out in 84, that's two years before the CJ was replaced, and some 12 years before your TJ. Thus there could be lots of good info for him here, have him stop by.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts