Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the kit that dumps before the rear axle, #39522. It was installed on a 2012 JKU Sport , automatic , with 3:73 gears and 35"

Got it from Amazon Prime for $178 then have to send in for the $50 rebate, so $128 in the end.

Ordered Sunday, came in today. Old exhaust off and new exhaust on all in 45min!!

Here is all the parts in the kit

The Intermediate is even notched, like the factory pipe, so it only goes on one way when slipped onto the "Y" pipe.

The clamps are solid and everything fit like a champ.

I did not trim the lip off of my EVAP skid for the rear hanger bracket.

DO NOT CUT THE INTERMEDIATE PIPE AS STATED IN INSTRUCTIONS

DO NOT

DOOOOO NOOOTTTTT

So the PROS....

Its great value.. at $178 you can't beat it

Its easy as pie to install

No drone on the highway, only drone is from 1300-1500rpms and thats it, it goes away.

No smell inside the vehicle when stopped

You free up all that area under the rear of the Jeep.... It looks so much better

Major smile on your face while driving.

The sound is amazing!!! Its not a V8 sound, but then again, it don't sound like a 6cyl:iamhappy:

And the wife test drove it to the gym and when she got there, she texted me with ..quote..." IT IS TOTALLY AWESOME!!"
:awesome:

Now the CONS...

The outlet of the muffler could use a notch in the pipe in order to clamp the turn down better. I did feel like adding the relief cuts. Plus I was using air tools, so it pulled the clamp down tight, but someone doing it by hand...it'll be tough

Thats it for the CONS.

BYE BYE

Much nicer

Barely peaking out...

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I'm glad yours went on without any modification. I have a non-rubi and I did have to cut the clamp that holds the turn down so that it would slide around the weld and get close enough to attach to the exhaust hanger. I too love how it sounds, although I could do a little less drone around 1500rpm. I don't believe it'll be an issue when I get tires and regear, I'm sure I'll stay above that range and the drone will be eliminated when cruising.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
correction to my last post...this is the evo...its either this or the rock crawler...
From my understanding... The Rock Crawker has a full length tail pipe that exits out on the driver side... Same muffler though

And more expensive

·
Registered
586 Posts
From my understanding... The Rock Crawker has a full length tail pipe that exits out on the driver side... Same muffler though

And more expensive
yes, same muffler, just different routing. just concerned about it being so close to the evap canister. you have had no problems though, correct?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
yes, same muffler, just different routing. just concerned about it being so close to the evap canister. you have had no problems though, correct?

I have not had this exhaust installed on a truly hot day yet. However to test it I've pulled into my drive way after an exilerating drive with the top down, hopped out and immediatly checked the evap; It wasn't warm in the slightest.

I do plan on relocating it, but not because of the exhaust.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Ran the same setup on my 2010 JKUR, no problems with the Evap even in 110*F weather. After about 2 years, it lost it's throatiness so now I'm running Hooker muffler, same spot, with the outlet turned about 45* to cut down the dust on the trails.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What they all said about the EVAP.

The pipe is no closer than factory. And if you feel the exhaust coming out... It's not that hot

I wouldn't worry it one bit

·
Registered
85 Posts
correction to my last post...this is the evo...its either this or the rock crawler...
I was weighing in on both of these options, but decided to go with the cheaper DIY method which has its own threads somewhere...

I removed the stock muffler from under the tailgate, cut out a section of the stock pipe underneath the doors on the drivers side & added the same muffler used in those kits, the Ultra Flo SS pn: 17263. used two walker clamps to secure it. Exhaust dumps behind the rear axle where the stock pipe ends. total cost was ~$70.

So far I am loving this system. The sound is exactly what i was looking for. Has a nice low growl when you get on it. Lets you know its there, but its not obnoxiously loud. There is some drone, but its minimal & not always present.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think it is illegal to dump the exhaust under a vehicle in Maine. At least it was years ago when I had modified an exhaust on an old T-Bird and I could not get an inspection sticker. The exhaust was dumping in front of the rear axle with a turn down. I was told it had to exit out the side or rear. I wonder if other states may be similar. I am thinking of going with the Rock Crawler version to avoid any issues.

·
Registered
666 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think it is illegal to dump the exhaust under a vehicle in Maine. At least it was years ago when I had modified an exhaust on an old T-Bird and I could not get an inspection sticker. The exhaust was dumping in front of the rear axle with a turn down. I was told it had to exit out the side or rear. I wonder if other states may be similar. I am thinking of going with the Rock Crawler version to avoid any issues.
I forgot what miss our rule is , as it's been awhile since I did inspection.

If it does need to exit the vehicle, I'll just throw on a temp pipe in order to pass. Worse case is, I'd have to do it every 2 yrs... Big deal

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just ordered this system due to your write up. I hate seeing the stupid huge waste of space muffler out back i feel the weight savings,stainless steel, clearance, and sound plus minimal power gain is awesome! Plus with the rebate a free 50$ back is a win win!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
i have the exact same dynomax exhaust system as OP and i love it every single time i drive, though i do hear some drone at lower rpm's(1300-1500) but its not bad at all and it does not last more than 5-10 seconds. With regearing in the future(3:21 to 4:88 on 35" tires) it will be better i hope. Can't imagine not having this exhaust on the jeep :)

·
Registered
524 Posts

And more expensive
Their site is poorly labeled.

39522 - Pre-Axle Exit 4dr
39523 - Rear Exit 4dr
39524 - Rear Exit 2dr

Looking at the diagram on instruction sheet, the "Rockcrawler" is clearly the 2dr variant of the 23 kit.

Also, from what I can find the EVAP bolts are not in like spots between the two chassis, so the pre-axle exit is 4dr only.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts