Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a really good weekend wheeling but discovered a few things about my @Dynomax 39522. Overall I have really enjoyed the muffler but had a few things pop up, and several comments over the weekend from our group.

1. My wife told me that the drone is really loud on the passenger side. I sat there, and it is almost deafening(no doors/no top). I couldn't stand to sit there. She has migraine issues and can't believe it didn't set one off earlier than it did. That said, on the drivers side is ok. This was the first time I had wheeled with a passenger with all 4 doors off. Usually we have the doors on(for mud/water infiltration), but it was a really nice day.

2 Several people that followed me commented on how loud it was, not in a good way. I guess at crawl/trail speeds it is worse than I thought.

So....how do I remedy? At least the passenger side drone? Seems weird that is is worse considering the muffler dumps right behind the driver on the drivers side.

Obviously I can go back factory, but like the idea of the exhaust being tucked up high and a pre-axle dump.

Wonder if I can just run the outlet back up over the axle and tucked up high and dump right in front of the bumper using the same can?

Is there another can that is quieter in general so I can save the pre-axle dump?

Guess I am just mulling some things over and need some help brainstorming.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

·
Registered
183 Posts
the thing with that muffler that's dumping right under your ass, is you eliminated the real muffler that comes all the way at the end. Your best bet is put the stock one back on, or extend the stock muffler and just change the end muffler to an open hollow buffler that will give you the growl

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
You will need to add a 2nd inline bullet muffler, to act as a resonator. I have a Dynomax bullet muffler in place of the factory resonator, and a Magnaflow 5x8 muffler where the factory muffler used to be located, i wanted more noise after i added the Magnaflow muffler, so i thought deleting the factory res was going to be all i needed, after i took it off, i hated the sound, loud and raspy, ricer without believe :) it was horrible, so adding the bullet muffler toned down the exhaust, and gave it a different note as well, more sportier, and as loud as i wanted to go. You may need to extended the piping to accommodate a 2nd bullet muffler, the bigger the better at suppressing noise, i went with a small bullet, because i do enjoy an aggressive exhaust tone, i just needed to remove the raspiness, and some loudness, it's still deep and gurgling as i envisioned my Jeep sounding.

·
Super Moderator
2,775 Posts
I put this exhaust on my list because I heard one at a Jeep rally. His was pretty quiet. Weird. Back to the old drawing board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
Had a really good weekend wheeling but discovered a few things about my @Dynomax 39522. Overall I have really enjoyed the muffler but had a few things pop up, and several comments over the weekend from our group.

1. My wife told me that the drone is really loud on the passenger side. I sat there, and it is almost deafening(no doors/no top). I couldn't stand to sit there. She has migraine issues and can't believe it didn't set one off earlier than it did. That said, on the drivers side is ok. This was the first time I had wheeled with a passenger with all 4 doors off. Usually we have the doors on(for mud/water infiltration), but it was a really nice day.

2 Several people that followed me commented on how loud it was, not in a good way. I guess at crawl/trail speeds it is worse than I thought.

So....how do I remedy? At least the passenger side drone? Seems weird that is is worse considering the muffler dumps right behind the driver on the drivers side.

Obviously I can go back factory, but like the idea of the exhaust being tucked up high and a pre-axle dump.

Wonder if I can just run the outlet back up over the axle and tucked up high and dump right in front of the bumper using the same can?

Is there another can that is quieter in general so I can save the pre-axle dump?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Like others said put a sport resonator after it, that's what I have and it sounds nice and sport but isn't too obnoxiously loud. They should be able to slip it on for you to hear it before they weld it on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts

Thanks in advance.

Brian

Mines a magnaflow followed by a dynomax resonator.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
How long have you had it installed? I have the same one and hated how loud it was when I first put it on, but after a few months of driving it quieted down and sounds pretty nice.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How long have you had it installed? I have the same one and hated how loud it was when I first put it on, but after a few months of driving it quieted down and sounds pretty nice.
Over a year. It is fine with the top and doors on, but completely Naked it is a beast, but only on the passenger side. Wierd I know. Doesn't bother me on the drivers side even though it exits right below me. Some wierd harmonic or something i guess. I can attest personally it is bad as I have sat in the passenger seat a few times. Cant believe my wife hasn't complained earlier.

I may pick up the bullet muffler as it is cheap and try it out. Also play with the direction of the outlet too maybe. Worse comes to worse I can run it over the rear axle and use a rear dump.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Picked up one of the small bullet mufflers yesterday along with some tubing. Hopefully in by this weekend. I'll play with it Saturday if so. Plenty of room under there. Bought a couple of extra exhaust hangers just in case.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Picked up one of the small bullet mufflers yesterday along with some tubing. Hopefully in by this weekend. I'll play with it Saturday if so. Plenty of room under there. Bought a couple of extra exhaust hangers just in case.
Sorry to bring up an old post, but I'm fighting this exact same fight right now. Did you ever figure out a fix for this harmonic "booming" sound with the doors off? It is mind numbing loud.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
So the bullet or a resonator is the key to removing rice/ rasp/ outlaw sounds ???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts