Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Smittybuilt XRC front bumper a few weeks ago and last week I bought the e-AutoGrilles version of the rear XRC.

IMO I think they are made in the same chinese warehouse on the same machines. The e-AutoGrilles are not exactly the same but material and structurally wise they are.

If you have any worries about the e-AutoGrilles bumpers do not hesitate if your other option is the Smittybuilt

87 06 Jeep YJ TJ Wrangler Heavy Duty Rock Crawler Rear Bumper Tire Carrier Handl | eBay

·
Registered
357 Posts
how do you like the rear bumper? Any rattling? does it have those extra support bolts in the back?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No rattles at all. I really like it so far.

It mounts with 8 bolts to the back of the bumper support and two bolts in the bottom. I had to drill four more holes and it IS A PAIN IN THE AZZ! to tighten the bolts down. Make sure you have ratcheting wrenches cause a socket will not fit from the back, but I also have a gas tank skid plate which made it difficult.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have their front and rear bumpers on mine now. Powder coating sucks on the rear where the "receiver" is welded to the bumper. The "greaseable" hinge also sucks. I have to actually lift up on the carrier to clear the tube on the bumper for it to latch but for what I paid for it who cares. It works..Has taken a beating and still hold my 33" tire and Hi Lift jack.

Front bumper is actually better made and coated for some reason.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I would steer clear of anything smitty with tubes on it. They bend easily. The plate steel is decent enough and can take a hit. The tire carrier suck because of the hinge and latch. I have one so I can testify to its suckiness, but it does hold a tire on.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hmm looks like the same set i have had on mine a while now. For the price..cant beat em. Front bumper has winched full size trucks out of holes, rear has snatched other folks out. Also tow my boat with it. I do recommend the frame tie-ins if you intend on abusing it like i do though.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm also running the eautogrills src bumpers front and rear. No squeaks or rattles and the tire carrier works great. I had to grease the cramp out of it tho. It's strong I have dropped off many ledges and smashed down hard on the tubes. It's held up good. The coating on the bumpers is ok, I have some flaking but not to bad.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I have the e-auto grill bumper in the front with part of the stock bumper welded on, and I have a smittybilt rear tire carrier and the tire carrier is carrying my 33 no squeak or rattle and turns/opens smoothly. The front bumper survived a collision with only small scratches on the bumper while dealing some heavy damages.

Nothing bad to say for each bumper, the front bumper thats e-autogrille does seem a bit low quality. The inside has minimum welding and not too much support. Had to do some customizations on the front bumper to make the holes line up.

The rear bumper that is smittybuilt came with frame tie in, welds look good and tons of suppoort inside. Came with clear instructions and everything bolted in perfectly.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My front is an auto grilles - Love it!!

·
Registered
535 Posts
No rattles at all. I really like it so far.

It mounts with 8 bolts to the back of the bumper support and two bolts in the bottom. I had to drill four more holes and it IS A PAIN IN THE AZZ! to tighten the bolts down. Make sure you have ratcheting wrenches cause a socket will not fit from the back, but I also have a gas tank skid plate which made it difficult.
I agree!!! I Could not get a decent bite on the 4 (drilled) inner bolts with a ratchet wrench or universal adapter and a long extension or enough torque to tighten them down properly. I ended up dropping the skid pan so I could tighten the bolts to the recommended torque specs.

I have their front and rear bumpers on mine now. Powder coating sucks on the rear where the "receiver" is welded to the bumper. The "greaseable" hinge also sucks. I have to actually lift up on the carrier to clear the tube on the bumper for it to latch but for what I paid for it who cares. It works..Has taken a beating and still hold my 33" tire and Hi Lift jack.

Powder coating on mine was fine, but after greasing the hinge, the pressure lifted the swing gate a little and there was a bit of a space between the slider pad and the bumper. After a couple days of rattling, I added a piece of heavy rubber gasket material between the bottom of the tire carrier and the slider. Not a rattle since.

The latching system could have been designed a little better, but I guess for the price it's OK. I keep it well greased, so it's not too bad.

I've had them on for just about a year now and both bumpers have generally held up well. I wheel just about every weekend, and have pulled or been pulled from both the front and back D-rings without issue. I've banged them off quite a few obstacles and haven't chipped the coating or noticed any rust on them yet.

I do have some concerns with tire carriers that have only one hinge point, so I've been thinking about adding a safety cable thru the tire carrier and attach it to some eye bolts set into the mounting holes of the old factory tire carrier. At least if the hinge pin ever fails the carrier and the tire will drop a bit, but at least it will stay on the Jeep and not hit some poor guy behind me.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
This was a guys at a local 4wd shop, the plate steel is fine, he even hit a car with it and only had scratches. The tubes are the weak link, one yank on the tube and you see what happened. Granted you shouldn't pull, but you can see how weak the tubes are, and if you plan on wheeling you will likely hit it at some point. There are other pics floating around on here of similar stuff on cheap bumpers. The bumpers themselves are stout enough but any tubing should be considered a light holder or ornamental. On a related note, replace the torx bolts with a hex cap when you swap, very very tight clearance on the upper mount bolts.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I got an e-autogrilles rock slider and i love it. The welds look well done and the paint on it is holding up fine. Paint isn't a big deal though, if it chips or flakes I'll just bed liner it like I do everything else. :thumb:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Bumping this thread since Im looking into both the e-autogrilles and smitty rear bumpers. Are either welded inside where the D rings and receiver are?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bumping this thread since Im looking into both the e-autogrilles and smitty rear bumpers. Are either welded inside where the D rings and receiver are?
From what I remember they are welded from the outside only. I am not 100% but I think I would have noticed if they were because that would have impressed me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts