Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before people start :pullinghair: about another e-brake thread...I did adjust the star on both wheels and replaced the shoes. The caliper, rear brakes, e-brake shoes are all brand new and the stars have been adjusted. My Jeep still rolls while in drive with the e-brake fully up.

I've read that the linkage can stretch. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I park on a pretty good incline and want a working e-brake.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
How is the resistance when you adjusted the star wheel? The pads should just slightly be in contact with the inner "drum" on the disk brake so there is light resistance when you try and spin the disk, it shouldnt just free spin. If properly adjusted i dont think you could possibly have stretched the cable enough to make it not work, but i guess anything is possible. Sounds more like it isnt adjusted properly.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How is the resistance when you adjusted the star wheel? The pads should just slightly be in contact with the inner "drum" on the disk brake so there is light resistance when you try and spin the disk, it shouldnt just free spin. If properly adjusted i dont think you could possibly have stretched the cable enough to make it not work, but i guess anything is possible. Sounds more like it isnt adjusted properly.
The pads were right up against the drum. I can check again though.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
The pads were right up against the drum. I can check again though.
If they are adjusted properly it might be worth finding a new cable as you have replaced everything else. These things are pretty simple. Have you taken off your wheels and pulled the disks to do a visual inspection while someone pulls the parking brake?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If they are adjusted properly it might be worth finding a new cable as you have replaced everything else. These things are pretty simple. Have you taken off your wheels and pulled the disks to do a visual inspection while someone pulls the parking brake?
No I have not had someone pull the e-brake and look to see if it moves the shoes or not. I do know the shoes move at least a little. Sometimes it will slightly hold and other times it won't. I'd be very shocked if it wasn't the cable or something with that mechanism.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Before people start :pullinghair: about another e-brake thread...I did adjust the star on both wheels and replaced the shoes. The caliper, rear brakes, e-brake shoes are all brand new and the stars have been adjusted. My Jeep still rolls while in drive with the e-brake fully up.

I've read that the linkage can stretch. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I park on a pretty good incline and want a working e-brake.

What year is your Jeep? I started a thread recently about getting a new design duel cable parking brake setup under my MaxCare warranty on my '13. It is the bees knees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Also check the tension on the ebrake handle. When I installed new pads and rotors, i pulled the handle and nothing. I pulled the handle up and held a box end wrench against the tab so I would stay in place when I lowered the handle and the parking brake finally works.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What year is your Jeep? I started a thread recently about getting a new design duel cable parking brake setup under my MaxCare warranty on my '13. It is the bees knees.

2011 with 52k. I believe my warranties are out

Also check the tension on the ebrake handle. When I installed new pads and rotors, i pulled the handle and nothing. I pulled the handle up and held a box end wrench against the tab so I would stay in place when I lowered the handle and the parking brake finally works.
I'll look into that, thanks. This sounds like what is happening to me.

·
Registered
135 Posts
2011 with 52k. I believe my warranties are out

I'll look into that, thanks. This sounds like what is happening to me.

The new parking brake ratchet is only $70, i don't know about the two cables. But if its not covered, and you are more mechanically inclined than me maybe you could replace it yourself.

Part #s

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
One other issue that I had was that the cable had slipped off the actuator ring on the left side, so pulling on the handle did nothing but push the left cable back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts