Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of July of 2014, I now own a 2005, & 2006 Rubicon. I recently replaced brake pads on the 2006, also replaced the E-brake shoes, because E-brake was very weak. New rotors, pads, shoes, and still no E-brake to speak of. I noticed the new shoes looked about the same as the old ones at that time, but replaced them anyway. I have adjusted the cable, shoe adjustment, and everything I could think of repeatedly, so I removed a rear wheel, caliper, and rotor on the 2005(purchased new) with 75K miles, to make sure I had everything installed correct, which I had done. I was shocked when those shoes had more lining than the new ones. :censored: Returned to O'Reilys to look at another set of shoes, but they looked the same as the new ones I had installed. Went to the Jeep dealer, but they didn't have a set in stock, plus their shoes were $125 compared to about $40. That price might be OK if I thought the pads were my problem. Any ideas?
Dick T

·
Registered
296 Posts
you adjusted the cable under the tub?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you adjusted the cable under the tub?
Yes, from one end to the other! At one time I had it so tight you could only lift the handle 4-5 ", and still very little holding power. I then loosened the adjuster wheel on the shoes, thinking maybe the bottom of the shoe was so close to the inside drum, the top of the shoes couldn't expand properly. I now have everything adjusted the way I think it should be, and still when I torque the wheel lugs it won't hold. BTW, I'm old(71), and never been too bright, but was raised in a Junk Yard, and was a mechanic back in the point & condenser days. I guess I'm still not too bright!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts