Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Service shop says cant adjust parking brake under warranty even though it rolls when engaged, how do you adjust it?

·
The Bad Guy
23,245 Posts
Do a google search for project jk brake adjustment. It has to be done manually. The parking brake is a drum brake inside of the rear disc brake. You have to manually adjust the star wheel the old fashion way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. Shop said 12 month 12,000 miles is the only coverage on the adjustment. By that they are admitting its crap.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have an 07 that I took in for a parking brake adjustment recently because the handle would come all the way up most of the time, and the brake wouldn't hold. They adjusted it, and once I got it home it was back to its old ways. So I took it back, they said it was adjusted fine, must be in the handle. So this week I - for some reason - started engaging the PB while holding the release button. I don't know why, but it has engaged every time and held, even on the steepest of hills. Give it a shot, as I am curious if this works for anyone else.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I just had mine adjusted cause it wouldn't hold in my flat driveway unless I cranked it to the last click. They did it under warranty but I was at 4,000 miles. I will try this. I also heard that pulling it up and down a couple times does something but the jury is still out on that one.

·
The Bad Guy
23,245 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Shop said 12 month 12,000 miles is the only coverage on the adjustment. By that they are admitting its crap.
It's a wear item. Read your warranty information.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have an 07 that I took in for a parking brake adjustment recently because the handle would come all the way up most of the time, and the brake wouldn't hold. They adjusted it, and once I got it home it was back to its old ways. So I took it back, they said it was adjusted fine, must be in the handle. So this week I - for some reason - started engaging the PB while holding the release button. I don't know why, but it has engaged every time and held, even on the steepest of hills. Give it a shot, as I am curious if this works for anyone else.
I always hold the release button in and release when I gage enough tension is on the brake. I have no issues. It holds well on steeps. But I can't believe this procedure makes the thing work. Will experiment with the noisy don't hold the button in way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts