Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my wrangler died last week in that it refused to recognize the keys and let me start the engine or unlock the doors. I just received a message from the dealer and haven't been able to get back in contact with them yet for a better explanation. Until then I wanted to consult the forum and see if they could make sense of this or if it even passes muster:

"So, what it looks like happened is your electronic sway bar disconnect failed and that took out the entire CAN-BUS. This caused the vehicle to go into a lock-down mode so that not even the keys could be used to start the engine. The only way to repair it is to replace the electronic sway bar disconnect module. There is no way it can be fixed without the electronic sway bar module."

Now, a little background, about 2 weeks prior, my e-disco sway bar was having issues. It was spring runoff season and I was running through water every day just back-and-forth for work (2-3 inches of water). After looking into it I thought the e-disco motor had failed due to water infiltration (seems common on JKs with the e-disco) and ignored the light until I could get around to replacing the motor or switching to a manual disconnect. Then, two weeks later this happened. About 2 days prior to this event the ABS and traction control lights would illuminate while driving. Turning the car off then back on would reset them and then all would be fine. Again, I was planning on taking it in next time I had a chance.

Does it make any sense that the electronic sway bar (an optional upgrade that some people will replace with a manual disconnect after it fails) is a required component on my vehicle? Is there a separate "electronic sway bar disconnect module" as well as the "electronic sway bar disconnect motor?" Does it make sense that if the e-disco fails it can cause the entire vehicle to become unusable?

Thanks for the help,
Ryan

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
The Rubicon sway bar is controlled by the CAN bus so I believe it possible for to it to take your Jeep out of service. I'm surprised that disconnecting the sway bar electrical connector doesn't clear the CAN bus and allow the vehicle to start. If that worked, I'd expect a flashing sway bar dash lamp.

The sway bar unfortunately is sold as a unit and buying just the electronics if they get damaged in any way isn't an option. I'd think you could find a used one for sale somewhere.

The sway bar disconnect motor is indeed separate from the disconnect module. If you look at the connector for the sway bar, there are over 20 connections, but to operate the motor takes only 4 leads. Two of the leads are used for the electromagnet that holds the sway bar disconnected, and the other two operate the DC disconnect motor.

The dang thing has a lot more electronic engineering in that it should IMO!

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I know AEV procal can be used to disable the disco flashing light, you might try using one to see if it will work.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Description: This mode allows the user to activate or deactivate the vehicle’s Automatic Smartbar System
(ASBS). The ASBS is an electronic module that disconnects the front sway bar. For vehicles that were
built with this feature (all Rubicons), removal of the module will constantly illuminate the “Sway Bar”
lamp on the dash. For vehicles that were built without this feature, addition of the module will not by
itself enable the system. For either circumstance, the AEV ProCal can activate or deactivate the ASBS.
Note: Installing or removing the module must be done prior to using the ProCal Module.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies all.

I was finally able to speak with the tech there and they cleared things up. It can be disconnected and be fine. I'll be removing the edisco, seeing if I can tell what's wrong, and likely replacing it with a manual disconnect.

Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts