Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Be been looking for an aggressive AT tire in a load range D but all I can find are E rated ones except for the duratrac.
I like the duratrac except for the sizes that it comes in. I've been looking for a 33/12.50/17 or 305/65/17 because I like the extra width on a jku.

I would like to hear comments from anyone who runs an E rated tire on ride quality on road. I would love a c rated but those appear non existent.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I have 33/12.50/15 duratracs and there e rated and it's fine I don't see why people knock them so much they run smooth I keep them at about 29-30 psi. Personally I think they run smoother then the stock sport s tires the jeep came with

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Be been looking for an aggressive AT tire in a load range D but all I can find are E rated ones except for the duratrac.
I like the duratrac except for the sizes that it comes in. I've been looking for a 33/12.50/17 or 305/65/17 because I like the extra width on a jku.

I would like to hear comments from anyone who runs an E rated tire on ride quality on road. I would love a c rated but those appear non existent.
Cooper makes the STT in 33x12.5x17 D rated.

The Duratrac 285/70r17 looks meaty...load range d as well
DT come in 315/70r17 which is pretty damn close to 33x12.5x17
Mickey Thompson has tires that fit that description
As do Dick Cepek

There are a ton of tires out there.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
C rated tires exist, but not in 17" wheels. Your safer with E rated on a JKU than on a JK. Keep in mind that is just a rating. Tires are made up of 100's of different types of compounds which can play a huge role in ride comfort. ESP is a guy on her from NC. He is commonly referred to as "the tire guy"

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been looking at the cooper stt, but I've never drove a mud tire on ice/ snow packed roads and that is why I was looking into an AT since my jeep is a DD.
Many of the mud tires come in a D rating in the 17" size but very few ATs do.
I'm just trying to do all of the research I can before I blow a bunch of $$ on tires that I won't be happy with.
I spend hours every day scouring the internet comparing tires, reviews, ratings, etc...
So far the cooper stt and Mickey Thompson mtz are my favorites. I would run the AT versions if I wasn't worried about the harsh ride from an E rated tire.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Oh me too the STT has some good siping, I believe it is a "at" but a very very aggressive one. There is some Swedish guy on here with the ST MAXX tires and LOVES THEM. They are also studdable. Dunno where ya live.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live in southern ohio. We don't get a whole lot of snow but when we do it comes with a bunch of ice. I was looking at the 315 duratrac but it's considered a 35 and I have 3.21 gearing on a jku..

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
315 measures up pretty small. I had 3.21 gearing also a 2dr jk 33" is my limit! haha Im the same way about tires right now. Kelly's Safari TSR is a great tire too. Owned by GY

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Yup. Slightly different tread. Hold off until spring when bfg pulls their heads outta their @$$ and get the BFG ko2. Only thing available for 17" for that tire right now is a 275/70r17

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I have 33/12.50/15 duratracs and there e rated and it's fine I don't see why people knock them so much they run smooth I keep them at about 29-30 psi. Personally I think they run smoother then the stock sport s tires the jeep came with
I could be wrong, but I thought the duratracs in that size were only offered in a C rated version. Atleast thats what their site, and discount tire seem to indicate.

As far as suggestions for the OP goes the General ATs are C rated in 33 12.5 17. They seem to be a well liked AT at a reasonable price.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?ra=searchTiresBySize.do&fl=&pc=32877&counter=0&ar=12.50&rd=17&cs=33

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
The Cooper STT is a great choice similar to the Duratrac. It is not a full MT but instead an AT/MT hybrid.

You cannot judge the stiffness of a tire just by the load range. It has a lot to do with the design and construction of the plys. For instance Toyo's are very tough but they are also very stiff and heavy. The MTR/Ks are tough but lighter and more compliant.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'm running one of the Cooper AT E range for DD duties and the ride is better than the Duratrac C range I had before them. Running them at 35 PSI but my JKU is a bit portly with the aremor and junk I carry.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I run 35x12.5x17 Toyo Open Country MT's. While not an AT they are E rated tires. The ride is acceptable on road in a JKU. Not much noise for that size tire and with 29 PSI, they don't bounce you to death. On the trail they are great. I hit a stump hard enough to knock my drag link out of center this weekend, I mean I slammed it at about 10 MPH. The tire held and did not go flat. That to me makes putting up with the slightly harsher ride on road worth it. So I guess it depends on how you use your Jeep. Mine is my daily driver and a trail/overland rig on the weekend and I like the added security of 10 ply.

·
Super Moderator
21,977 Posts
I like Toyo AT2 extremes. they are e rated but smooth as silk. They do pretty good in all kinds of terrain and wear like iron. I just switched tires over for the winter to cooper at3's in an C rated tire 275/70-17 vs my Toyo 285/75-17 and no difference in on the road feel other then I feel like I added a few hp with the smaller tires. The Toyos are not the most aggressive looking but perform really well off road.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am "suffering" through the same tire-decision plight - and I do not even have my Jeep, yet! :eek: Crazy, I know.

Anyways, I am looking to replace the stock wheels and tires on "my" Rubi HR Unlimited with something a little beefier, and perhaps a bit better in the snow. I am down to the Duratrac in 33x12.5x 15, or the General Grabber AT2 in 305/70 16.

I like the lower weight of the Duratracs. They have a solid reputation around here. They are C rated.

I like the 16 inch size of the Generals. Not so much info on here as the Duratracs. The Generals are D rated.

Any input/experience irt the Generals? Anything else?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
My duratracs are 33 on 15" wheels I think with a 15" rim they only come e rated and like I said in my post eirlier for a e rated tire there very smooth and there snow flake rated and can take studs but they run alittle small mounted I think mine measure at like 31.5 mounted at 30 psi maby 32 I don't remember

1 - 20 of 20 Posts