Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone who has driven both say if the E-torque on the 2.0 is worth the extra parts and cost?

I test drove the standard 2.0 and was quite impressed coming from a JK. I test drove the V6 and I still liked the feel better of the 2.0. In the showroom the dealer has a 2.0 with E-torque. However in reading about the E-Torque in the V6, supposedly the vehicle is slower when equipped with the E-torque (coupled with the V6). How is it on the 2.0?

Also, it is discontinued for 2021 Wranglers with the 2.0 which makes me wonder why they would drop it if it was a better option than the 2.0 alone.

·
Super Moderator
9,429 Posts
FCA dropped the 2.0 eTorque because no one wanted it. They sat on dealer lots unsold until FCA had to do a fire sale.

I haven’t driven the 2.0 eTorque. However, FCA failed miserably to positioning it on the market; it provided no value proposition, no marketing support, nothing. It did a similar thing on Ram pickups: it added eTorque as an option on the ordering guide, showed a price, explained briefly what it was, but didn’t articulate (1) what benefits eTorque provides, or (2) why should anyone pay extra for it. And the benefits eTorque provides, whatever they may be, are still not obvious.

FCA sales rely too much on gas guzzlers, and is getting worse; so it is hard pressed to meet CAFE standards. Over the past few years FCA had had to pay hundreds of millions of dollars in fines and buying carbon credits from Tesla. So it is now forcing eTorque on those who want the V6, which is JL’s more popular motor. My guess is eventually, it is going to force eTorque on both gasoline engines.

People who have the eTorque motor seem mostly pleased. But they have a hard time explaining exactly what benefit they get from it. Besides, JL has had its share of electrical issues, giving many buyers pause from getting the added complexity of eTorque.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have read "it rockets off the line" from a few threads. However, the 2021 I just drove (rubicon with 4.10s) laid 2 strips as it peeled away from a stop. I can't get my JK to do that. Does the E torque improve off the line acceleration significantly? That 2.0 was damn impressive without it. There was a little lag with the turbo, but there's lag with the JK and 5 speed/v6 combo too. I can't find any reviews or real stats comparing the 2 different 2.0s. I personally rather have the quicker of the 2, I also rather have the more simple setup. If it's not a significant improvement I rather keep my eye out for a 2021. If it's quicker with the hybrid, I rather go that route and look for a 2020 with it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, everything I read says that 2020 Rubicons don't have it. However, the window sticker of this 2020 Rubicon clearly has it.

2.0L I4 DOHC DI Turbo eTorque Engine

Powertrain Package Savings of $500
2.0L Turbo eTorque Engine ($500)
8–Spd Auto 850RE Trans $2,750
Net Powertrain Price $2,250

·
Super Moderator
2,269 Posts
Also, everything I read says that 2020 Rubicons don't have it. However, the window sticker of this 2020 Rubicon clearly has it.

Is it a Rubicon w/ Recon package?

·
Premium Member
7,173 Posts

My wife has a 2020 Rubicon Recon and it has the 2.0L turbo with eTorque. She loves it, especially after getting it back from the dealer who had it for 13 days for an axle seal issue. She swears they did a performance tuning or something because it really zips along now. Perhaps disconnecting the battery while it was in for service reset the computer or something and it is relearning her driving habits, I don't know.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yours is listed correctly. Which is why I questioned the one RoyBell is looking at
Yes, it's a recon. After reading more it looks like the Recon is the only Rubicon to get it.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I also rather have the more simple setup.
Depends on how long you want to keep the vehicle. I think you can get an 8-year warranty on e-torque. It will become painful after it's out of warranty because I understand e-torque is not removable. The significantly higher costs of owning out-of-warranty e-torque will probably impact resale values a few years down the road.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Depends on how long you want to keep the vehicle. I think you can get an 8-year warranty on e-torque. It will become painful after it's out of warranty because I understand e-torque is not removable. The significantly higher costs of owning out-of-warranty e-torque will probably impact resale values a few years down the road.
I would probably trade in 2 years once the 392 comes out. Almost all the cars have E torque, I can't see it affecting resale too much?

·
Super Moderator
9,429 Posts
Last year Sahara was the only one to get the V6 eTorque...

I’m sure this nonstop fiddling with options makes sense somewhere inside the FCA building.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Exactly, I think they have a forum conception of what the customers want. For example, "only 4-door Sahara buyers will want Selec-trac." Or another example, "no JK buyer cares about having an upscale interior."

Next year's competition from Bronco should force them to become more imaginative, and start trying to provide what real-world customers are looking for, instead of the one-size-fits-all approach. They won't be able to continue charging $20k extra for "options" that don't cost the company anything.

·
Super Moderator
9,429 Posts
FCA loves to mix-and-match body panels and stickers to create mostly cosmetic “special editions.” Add a matte black grille, some red accents and black decals to a Rubicon and voila you have a Recon. Add a painted hardtop, gloss black accents and wheels and you have an Altitude. Add a Rubicon hood, wheels, rock rails and steel bumpers to a Sahara and you have a Moab. Add 20” wheels, a painted hardtop and bumpers to a Sahara and you have a High Altitude.

Decisions to restrict certain engines and drivetrains to certain “special editions” are then mere attempts to create differentiation where no real differences exist otherwise.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FCA loves to mix-and-match body panels and stickers to create mostly cosmetic “special editions.” Add a matte black grille, some red accents and black decals to a Rubicon and voila you have a Recon. Add a painted hardtop, gloss black accents and wheels and you have an Altitude. Add a Rubicon hood, wheels, rock rails and steel bumpers to a Sahara and you have a Moab. Add 20” wheels, a painted hardtop and bumpers to a Sahara and you have a High Altitude.

Decisions to restrict certain engines and drivetrains to certain “special editions” are then mere attempts to create differentiation where no real differences exist otherwise.
The aggravating part is the special editions are usually cheaper as a whole than buying the options standalone. So why not just lower the cost of the options from the get go? I am really looking forward to Broncos pushing Jeep to innovate the Wrangler finally. I mean how hard is it to offer sliding or removable windows on the hard top? They have it on the sky one touch. Bronco figured it out.

·
Registered
606 Posts
FCA sales rely too much on gas guzzlers, and is getting worse; so it is hard pressed to meet CAFE standards. Over the past few years FCA had had to pay hundreds of millions of dollars in fines and buying carbon credits from Tesla.
Hmmm, they made serious efforts to sell small cars and diesels, which proved to be costly investments that never paid off.

Their small cars were rejected by the marketplace, because of their historic mistakes with quality and the dealership service experience. The mistake of eco-diesel sort of goes without saying (e.g., VW). And we really messed up as a country to subsidize Elon Musk.

·
Premium Member
7,173 Posts
FCA loves to mix-and-match body panels and stickers to create mostly cosmetic “special editions.” Add a matte black grille, some red accents and black decals to a Rubicon and voila you have a Recon.
Not really. You left out the factory steel bumpers, rock rails and a few other things. I'm at Disney right now but I'll compile a detailed list after I get back home.

·
Super Moderator
9,429 Posts
Not really. You left out the factory steel bumpers, rock rails and a few other things. I'm at Disney right now but I'll compile a detailed list after I get back home.
Still, they are cosmetic differences. Functional perhaps, but mostly cosmetic, even the steel bumpers.

The original Recon held some unique mechanical differences over regular Rubicon, like a stronger front axle and a higher stock suspension, both of which actually enhanced off-road capability, and neither of which you could get on regular Rubicon.

The only “mechanical difference” this time around is that you are forced to take the 2.0T, which doesn't add any off-road capability per se, and you can get as an option on other Wranglers. Besides, Recon’s lack of engine choice is a huge deal breaker for many.

The way FCA goes about defining trim levels, creating special editions and options packages has clear changed with JL: there’s now wider availability of options across regular trims, with the differences among “special editions” now being mostly cosmetic.

At this rate, I can see Jeep making lockers and swaybar disconnect available as options on Sport and Sahara. Particularly in response to Ford Bronco’s Sasquatch package, which makes off-road parts available across all trim levels.

Would that dilute the Rubicon name? Heck yes. But FCA has shown that nothing is sacred in its push for sales volume.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts