Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, I have come to the full realization that the Alpine sound in both my 2013 Rubicon and 2014 Sahara sucks! The Infinity system in my 2008-12 JKs sounded way better than these.

I've been reading the threads but they get too involved and complicated.

I don't want to replace the head units, nor have to mount, wire and hookup an amplifier either --unless it's super easy.

So my question is simply: what's the easiest, quickest way to improve the dull sound of my stereos that I can plug-and-play in one afternoon?

Is there a "How to improve dull Alpine sound for Dummies"?

Anything Mopar, Quadratec or anyone else offers that is an easy swap that you know in fact works?

Thanks!

Aldo

·
Registered
225 Posts
Okay, I have come to the full realization that the Alpine sound in both my 2013 Rubicon and 2014 Sahara sucks!

The Infinity system in my 2008-12 JKs sounded way better than these.

I've been reading the threads but they get too involved and complicated.

I am trying to avoid replacing the head units, and I don't want to have to mount, wire and hookup an amplifier either --unless it's super easy.

So my question is simply: what's the easiest, quickest way to improve the dull sound of my stereos that I can plug-and-play in one afternoon?

Is there a "How to improve dull Alpine sound for Dummies"?

Anything Mopar, Quadratec or anyone else offers that is an easy swap and you know for a fact works?

Thanks!

Aldo
You've narrowed your options down to just speakers since you don't want an amp or head unit. Without question, the best way to improve any stereo is to add a decent amp and better speakers. I like JL Audio stuff, but Sony amps are much cheaper and produce great sound and volume. If you are worried about space, Arc and Rockford Fossgate both make quality amps for motorcycles that are powerful and take up little to no space.

·
Super Moderator
10,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks.

But I'd get lost looking at aftermarket amplifiers. I know as much about amps as I know about butterfly migration.

Do you know if this amp is any good? It is listed for my 2014 Sahara with the optional sound system, which is what I have.

Kicker Amplifier - 77KCK056 | Mopar

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Aldo, I'm Shocked! You haven't noticed the Thread(s) on the PRS Mod?

That is your answer and it's a good one. for about $150 all-in and very little effort you get a Big Payoff. I just sold (for half that) all my stuff out of my '14 to a WF member.
I will add the links if you haven't seen the Tweeter Mod, Soundbar spkr and Sub mod threads. Add to that some Peal&Seal and polyfil and you will be sitting in your Jeep listening to music

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/stock-tweeter-mod-cheap-662985.html

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/subwoofer-mod-replacement-921921.html

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/speaker-upgrade-infinity-6032si-904409.html

·
Registered
456 Posts
My friend who's a sound guy installed a cheap $40 subwoofer for me and changed my Treble to +9, mid to +8 and bass to -4 made a night and day difference. It was a more crisp clear sound. With the cheap subwoofer from kijji I'm happy. Just stock speakers not alpine.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Again, just to clarify. The three(3) threads I am referencing comprise what has come to be referred to as the "PRS Mod" there is a PRS+ mod as well which is the PRS mod w/an added snack amp for the Sub. I did not personally add the "+" to mine but those who have liked it.
Anyway, the PRS Mod is meant to "Wake Up" the Infinity or Alpine speaker systems and by most accounts it does that and more.
Have fun guys, a Lot of work went into the threads so.... I'm not looking to repeat it all.
It's all in the threads for those who may be interested. Posts out of left field that have nothing to do with the Op's question serve no purpose and only confuse things.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Again, just to clarify. The three(3) threads I am referencing comprise what has come to be referred to as the "PRS Mod" there is a PRS+ mod as well which is the PRS mod w/an added snack amp for the Sub. I did not personally add the "+" to mine but those who have liked it. Anyway, the PRS Mod is meant to "Wake Up" the Infinity or Alpine speaker systems and by most accounts it does that and more. Have fun guys, a Lot of work went into the threads so.... I'm not looking to repeat it all. It's all in the threads for those who may be interested. Posts out of left field that have nothing to do with the Op's question serve no purpose and only confuse things.
I'm def going to check these out. Thank you very much for the info.

Jay

·
Super Moderator
10,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the links, Rubi.

I will check them when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Aldo, I'm Shocked! You haven't noticed the Thread(s) on the PRS Mod?

That is your answer and it's a good one. for about $150 all-in and very little effort you get a Big Payoff. I just sold (for half that) all my stuff out of my '14 to a WF member.
I will add the links if you haven't seen the Tweeter Mod, Soundbar spkr and Sub mod threads. Add to that some Peal&Seal and polyfil and you will be sitting in your Jeep listening to music

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/stock-tweeter-mod-cheap-662985.html

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/subwoofer-mod-replacement-921921.html

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/speaker-upgrade-infinity-6032si-904409.html
This is a great post. I just realized after rereading this thread that you already have the Alpine system. The good news is, your system already has a factory installed amp. I'd stick to the above suggestions for simplicity's sake. For those with the stock system, I'd still suggest an aftermarket amp.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Thanks for the links, Rubi.

I will check them when I get home tonight.
I have completed all the mods listed in those links, and the sound is quite balanced, and much better than the original 'Premium' Alpine system.

In my opinion, it's not the mids in the roll bar or dash that are the biggest culprits, but that the front tweeters are basically limited to frequencies above 14KHz (there's next to no sound above those frequencies- especially with compressed media like MP3).

The easiest, and most rewarding update you can make in thirty minutes or less, is to replace your tombstone tweeters. You can replace the capacitor, but I was hesitant as I don't know what the quality of the unit is like, and just ordered complete Alpine replacements, with their own included crossovers.

I bought these- clear, crisp highs, without sounding harsh:
Alpine SPS-110TW Type-S 1" silk dome tweeters at Crutchfield.com

I found them for less on Amazon, fyi. Been very happy with them. You would not believe the difference this simple update makes- completely wakes up the system.

·
Super Moderator
10,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have completed all the mods listed in those links, and the sound is quite balanced, and much better than the original 'Premium' Alpine system.

In my opinion, it's not the mids in the roll bar or dash that are the biggest culprits, but that the front tweeters are basically limited to frequencies above 14KHz (there's next to no sound above those frequencies- especially with compressed media like MP3).

The easiest, and most rewarding update you can make in thirty minutes or less, is to replace your tombstone tweeters. You can replace the capacitor, but I was hesitant as I don't know what the quality of the unit is like, and just ordered complete Alpine replacements, with their own included crossovers.

I bought these- clear, crisp highs, without sounding harsh:
Alpine SPS-110TW Type-S 1" silk dome tweeters at Crutchfield.com

I found them for less on Amazon, fyi. Been very happy with them. You would not believe the difference this simple update makes- completely wakes up the system.
That was precisely my interpretation of what the issue was: no highs coming out of those tweeters. Your explanation makes perfect sense.

Thanks for the tips!

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Agreed. The Tweeter Mod is an immediate "Wow" tweak that costs like $2 and takes 10 minutes depending on your soldering ability. When you add in the other aspects of the Mod it layers into a cohesive PRS Mod.

·
Super Moderator
10,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Again, just to clarify. The three(3) threads I am referencing comprise what has come to be referred to as the "PRS Mod" there is a PRS+ mod as well which is the PRS mod w/an added snack amp for the Sub. I did not personally add the "+" to mine but those who have liked it.
Anyway, the PRS Mod is meant to "Wake Up" the Infinity or Alpine speaker systems and by most accounts it does that and more.
Have fun guys, a Lot of work went into the threads so.... I'm not looking to repeat it all.
It's all in the threads for those who may be interested. Posts out of left field that have nothing to do with the Op's question serve no purpose and only confuse things.
So, you didn't touch the speakers behind the dashboard at all? Just those in the sound bar, tweeters and Sub?

·
Registered
841 Posts
So, you didn't touch the speakers behind the dashboard at all? Just those in the sound bar, tweeters and Sub?
Try just the tweeters first. You may not swap anything else out once you've done that. I may have stopped there, after hearing what an impact it made.

The sound bar speakers are rear fill only, so not really crucial.

The front dash speakers are in an awkward spot, aimed at your knee/leg, so you'd have to swap them out with much better units, and send a heap of power to them to make a real difference. If you do decide to replace the front dash speakers, rather than getting the tweeter that I picked up, you may want to consider a component package- you'll get better drivers, but still a muddy, underpowered signal going to them.

The OEM sub isn't as tight as the Pioneer we've all put in, but is actually decent for many music types. The enclosure is the huge limitation here- it rattles and is poorly designed (I've lined mine with Dynamat, and stuffed it with polyfill too), so doesn't really matter which driver you stuff in there, or how much power you send to it.

Last but not least, the stock head unit and the Alpine amp have odd crossover frequencies, and bass roll-off, to protect the speakers at higher volumes- so your bass response is going to diminish as you turn the volume up anyway.

Many users have found that replacing the head unit yields the best results, as you get a proper full range signal, and higher output voltage out of the line-outs. You'd need an external 5-channel amp if you go this way, too. (or you could power the front dash and roll bar speakers off the new deck, and get a smaller mono amp to drive the sub).

There is no magical quick fix. It's either replace the tweeter, and get 90+% of the way there, or rip everything out and replace with aftermarket.

Right now, I'm toying with the idea of an AudioControl LC6i (which will do channel summing, so you get full range sound to your aftermarket amp), an AudioCcontrol LCQ-1, or a proper DSP unit like the Sounstream Harmony/PPI DSP-88R. I've got a JL Audio XD700/5 here from a previous car just sitting around, so would use that with one of these LOCs/processors, and keep the stock head unit.

I want to keep everything looking as stock as possible, hidden under factory grills, so as not to invite theft.

tl:dr, swap out the front tombstone tweeters for "Easiest fix for 2013-2014 Alpine dull sound"

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Speakers in the dash actually sound pretty good especially after the other steps in the Mod. They are tonally very warm. You don't want Too much sibilance.
I Loved my modded stereo in my Sahara.
I don't anticipate any mods to the '15 Alpine system. If anything (because of the desire for a BU camera) I might swap a HU but..... we'll see.

·
Super Moderator
10,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Speakers in the dash actually sound pretty good especially after the other steps in the Mod. They are tonally very warm. You don't want Too much sibilance.
I Loved my modded stereo in my Sahara.
I don't anticipate any mods to the '15 Alpine system. If anything (because of the desire for a BU camera) I might swap a HU but..... we'll see.
Cool!

I am ahead of you on the BU camera; got the BrandMotion a few months ago on my Sahara. I don't use it much; it's more for my dad when he drives the Jeep.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I've done the PRS and changed out my head unit. The head unit was first and I was shocked at the improvement. Huge difference but that swap cost me about $500 and I still wasn't totally happy. So I did the PRS. Wow! My Jeep rocks. For about $150, it's one of the best mods I've done.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
for me putting in polyfill behind the speakers in the sound bar and putting in a headliner kit helped allot!

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Resonant frequency control and modest acoustic dampening are very sound treatments (no pun intended) the ways we have cited are very inexpensive ways to accomplish that.
The entire Mod (ALL steps) layer to create a very positive final product.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts