Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front brakes started grinding not long ago. They were fine last fall, plenty of pad. Apparently the caliper on the driver's side started sticking and the outboard pad was now metal to metal, rotor grooved. I wasn't planning on doing this yet but looked like time for Black Magic pad and Centric rotors. I have 30" tires, not lifting, no plans to lift, so couldn't justify the Vanco Big Brake Kit. Parts came today and put them on, started the break-in. I gotta say, they are amazing. On the second set of mod to hard stops I inadvertently locked up a bit, skidding the front tires. That never happened before with the stock brakes!

Now to the problem.
I figured I would just do the rubber brake hoses while I was at it, but could not remove the Torx bolt holding the line onto the frame. I was using a half inch drive Craftsman socket wrench. Had done PB Blaster, Cyclo Breakaway, mineral spirits to try to dissolve the paint a couple of days before, rapped them with a hammer, let them sit overnight, smacked them with a hammer some more, nothing helped. Too close to the brake line to use the propane torch, I felt. I have a small butane torch somewhere, with a smaller flame that might have worked, but couldn't find that.

Wondering if the Eastwood glued them in from the inside? The hoses on there look decent, so guess this will have to wait until later. Probably will have to drill them out and get a nice hex head bolt with some antiseize so this doesn't happen again. I will do them when I replace my hard lines with stainless steel some day.
Has any one else had things stuck due to the Eastwood?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I don't think my Eastwood INTERNAL frame coating got any where near my brakes. I can't imagine that being a scenario. Sounds like they might just be getting old and seized up. Did you Spray it on the calipers for some strange reason?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think my Eastwood INTERNAL frame coating got any where near my brakes. I can't imagine that being a scenario. Sounds like they might just be getting old and seized up. Did you Spray it on the calipers for some strange reason?
No, it's where the flexible brake line is connected to the metal brake line on the side of the frame.

·
Registered
220 Posts
And put some tape over any holes in the frame you aren't actively spraying into or behold the drippy green mess that will run out of your frame and onto the ground

·
Registered
293 Posts
So the lesson is to remove every bolt connected to the frame before coating... check!
That may be a bit harsh! At least you are cursing a stuck bolt as opposed to tearing out a rusted chunk of frame! ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts