Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week out of nowhere the NotaRubicon ('12 JKU with 49k miles..) suddenly started to develop a serious wobble. Around 35-45mph on an uneven road, or hitting a hard bump at higher speeds would send the steeringwheel violently resonating back and forth. Seemed to get worse if I slowed down, usually would go away if the road smoothed-out and I speeded up.. It wasnt bad enough to really be called "death" wobble, but it was at least a "very ill and close to death" wobble.

Had the Jeep in today to get a new front driveshaft and some other stuff so I asked them to make sure everything was torqued right and to see what they could find.. What they found was worn bushings on the track bar.. The bushings, which should be stiff/ridged were flopping around like heim-joints.

Put in a new (stock, cheap) trackbar, and now it tracks smooth as silk with no more wobble.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
track bar holes are probably wallowed out too, btw... to prevent the problem from coming back, weld on a 9/16" washer on each side of the mount to resize the holes back to correct, then use a 9/16" x3" or x3.5" 18tpi bolt for the track bar at both ends to mount it. that setup will keep your track bar where it needs to be and stop DW from happening again!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Is this a preventive for the front or rear trackbar (or both)?

Will this fit aftermarket trackbar's?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Is there a specific reason to choose 18tpi over 13tpi? I can get both at my works shop but I chose the 13's because there was enough crimped lock nuts for the CA's and TB's. That's the 2nd time I've seen someone recommend 9/16-18 tpi so That's why I'm asking. Thanks

·
Vendor
5,579 Posts
Is this a preventive for the front or rear trackbar (or both)?

Will this fit aftermarket trackbar's?
Front is important to prevent DW. Yes they should fit.
Ken always get to them first. Hours time difference will do that for you.

Is there a specific reason to choose 18tpi over 13tpi? I can get both at my works shop but I chose the 13's because there was enough crimped lock nuts for the CA's and TB's. That's the 2nd time I've seen someone recommend 9/16-18 tpi so That's why I'm asking. Thanks

Typically, finer threaded machine screws or bolts will be cut shallower, therefore leaving more shank. Which in turn increases shear resistance. There is also an increase in how precise you can get the rotational clamping pressure (loosely named torque) in a given situation. The nut also has to rotate more on the bolt to achieve the same looseness (safety).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts