Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to get the Teraflex leveling kit for my 2014 JKU. I am thinking that I might need to change out the shocks to accommodate for flex when going off road. Can you change them with the Jeep on the ground? Is it pretty straight forward?

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Going to get the Teraflex leveling kit for my 2014 JKU.I am thinking that I might need to change out the shocks to accommodate for flex when going off road.Can you change them with the Jeep on the ground?Is it pretty straight forward?
Yes and Yes.

Your Jeep "sits" on its springs, that you can't do "on the ground"

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
It's much easier if you put it up of jackstands and support the axle with a floor jack.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
I'd add. "It's easier" with the wheels off too. But, to the question....
Can you change them with the Jeep on the ground?
Yes.

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
I wouldn't call it "easy." But certainly do-able. I did a Rancho 2" Sport lift last year. My first Jeep suspension work, but I had done many suspension swaps on sportscars over the years. Took me the better part of 6 hours, no small part of which was minor confusion over the directions and wanting to be certain before proceeding, so re-looking up things on YouTube videos, etc.

It does help to have a substantial collection of tools, including 1/2" drive sockets and long-ish breaker bars. Pneumatic impact driver is nice but not necessary. Jackstands and a floor jack are absolutely required. You've got to have your wheels out of the way.

EDIT: Just re-read -- thought you were asking about the Teraflex leveling installation. If you're just asking about shocks, that's a lot easier. Sorry.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It can be done in a driveway or home garage. And make sure you have ALL the tools needed or a secondary vehicle to make that run to lowes.
When friends and I did my lift and shocks they had all the tools: floor Jacks (2), wrenches and sockets (including 18 and 19mm), crow bar, impact gun, piece of plywood (the bump stops can be difficult to set), breaker bar.
That is about it. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Rears are a piece of cake, like 10 minutes and old ones are out and new ones are in. Fronts are a semi pain just due to lack of clearance to the top nut. Notch out a little window to get a wrench in there and let her rip. And yes, can be done on the ground.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
The passenger side is a PITA, but you can make it your friend by using an angled open-end 5/8" wrench on the top and holding the nut while you turn the shock itself with another 5/8" wrench. I found this to be much easier than trying to line up the wrench on the top with such limited space.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have done mine 3 times and everytime the tires were on and she was sitting on the ground and it took less then a hour to do all four. Very easy to do.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts