Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everybody knows the 2011+ fog lights are a sick joke. 24 watt bulbs that cost almost $50 each and put out the light equivalent of a child's flashlight. :nonono: I got this idea from a member of another forum, and just wanted to share with you guys.

These lights are Pilot PL203-W driving lights (technically they are not fogs, but I like driving lights better on rural roadways). They are commonly sold at AutoZone stores for under $40 for the entire kit. Plan about 2 hours for this project. I also bought flat washers to fit the Pilot screws, and male/female quick connectors to splice onto the end of the wires. That's all that's needed to complete the job.

Easiest thing to do is remove the grille, then remove the plastic cover laying across the frame rails behind the bumper cover. This entire process takes about 3 minutes.

Then unplug your fogs, and remove the 4 phillips screws that hold each light onto the bumper. Remove the lights.

Using a flat blade screwdriver, pop the stock fogs out of their plastic brackets. Put the new Pilot fogs into the plastic brackets and secure with the included screws and some flat washers (you will need to supply the flat washers). Make sure the vent hole is at the bottom.

I chose to splice male/female quick connectors onto the wiring of the Pilot fogs, and also onto the ends of the stock harnesses behind the bumper in place of the factory connector. This way I can change lights quickly if one gets broken in the future.

Put the Pilot lights back into factory locations and secure with the 4 phillips screws. Connect your stock wiring to the Pilot lights with the new quick connectors you've spliced in line.

Button everything back up and enjoy. *On the '12, there is some odd smog equipment or something behind the bumper that makes getting to the driver's side fog a little tougher...this is not present on the '11. See the bottom corner of the first pic. It's still doable though...but a magnetic phillips screwdriver is very helpful to get the screws back in on the '12.

As you can see, the Pilot lights fit like a glove. They also put out a LOT more light!!! Especially on the sides of the highway. This mod costs less than replacing a single stock fog light bulb! No drilling, no cutting, no brackets to buy, it just works! These are 55 watts, and work like a charm. It's also nice having them come on with the factory switch on the stalk just like the old 24 watters.

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Nice mod. Any shots at night? Too bad there wasn't a before after comparison.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Not hating WXman's ingenuity, but I am happy with the factory fog lights. Fog lights are for bad weather driving and are designed to illuminate the road surface directly in front of the vehicle. Not meant to be driving lights.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I am replacing my fogs with a brighter light since fog lights become pointless when they are over 3' off the ground. There is just no way to adjust them where they will be effective on my setup.

Never even thought about changing them when the jeep was still stock. Seemed to work great all the time.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure why you single out 2011+ lights. The fogs in my 2007 are no better than my 2012.
Because in 2011, the wattage was cut in half. At the same time, the bulbs changed to very expensive proprietary units that you can generally only get from the dealership. 2007-2010 had much better stock fogs.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That price is a LOT better than the dealership price!!

But, it's still only 24 watts instead of 55. :)

Technically, what comes stock on the JK isn't a fog light. Fog lights should be amber in color because that's the wavelength that cuts through fog, rain, and snow the best. So by installing the Pilots I still get the focus on the ground in front of the vehicle...but it also now shines on the sides of the highway better and the beam aids the headlights.

In fact, these Pilots are brighter than the stock headlights. I'm going to end up having to buy new headlight bulbs now too.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
.......In fact, these Pilots are brighter than the stock headlights. I'm going to end up having to buy new headlight bulbs now too.
Another excuse to spend more money! LOL

·
Registered
327 Posts
Are these legal and/or useable for the street or will you be blinding oncoming drivers?
:hide::popcorn:

Legality isn't a discussion that is good in these type threads. I've learned that gets these threads closed. I'd say the legality of it is what you can get away with without getting brights from oncoming traffic. I like the OP's idea. I would rather go with LED's but can't find any that seem to work.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I'm still somewhat new here but why in the world would that get the thread closed? It's a reasonable question to ask and discuss in my opinion. It's a simple matter of whether the lights have a dot stamp on them or not, right?
I have to say, I'm very impressed so far with the courtesy of most members on this forum, but I've already had one of my threads closed. I really hope the mods here aren't the power trip/close threads on a whim type.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess each state may have their own regulations. These have markings all over the lenses that match the markings on the stock lenses, so my assumption is that they are legal. Obviously, after installation you do need to find a wall and adjust them to the proper level so they aren't shining into drivers' faces.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
I'm still somewhat new here but why in the world would that get the thread closed? It's a reasonable question to ask and discuss in my opinion. It's a simple matter of whether the lights have a dot stamp on them or not, right?
I have to say, I'm very impressed so far with the courtesy of most members on this forum, but I've already had one of my threads closed. I really hope the mods here aren't the power trip/close threads on a whim type.
Asking if a particular brand/model of lights is street legal won't necessarily get a thread closed. What usually does is members argue over someone using non legal lighting.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Not hating WXman's ingenuity, but I am happy with the factory fog lights. Fog lights are for bad weather driving and are designed to illuminate the road surface directly in front of the vehicle. Not meant to be driving lights.
Pilot PL-360C fog lights mount up the same way... and don't have the blingy blue coating that doesn't do anything...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Are these legal and/or useable for the street or will you be blinding oncoming drivers?

Those "bluish" super bright lights blind the oncoming traffic (IMHO), especially when the driver of the oncoming vehicle is over 65 ... BTW: 10,000 people are turning 65 every day. Just sayin'

·
Registered
325 Posts
Is there a bulb only upgrade for the OEM fog lights? (24 to 55 watts)
+1

also will upgrading the bulbs melt the factory wiring? and/or will this mod the OP done have negative affects on factory wiring harness. had that happen before, do not wanna do it again.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts