Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone wired an eaton e locker to the stock wiring in a rubicon?

would like to use the stock switch and wiring..

·
Registered
701 Posts
Wow. I was hoping some people would chime in here. I to am interested. Have just a sport but am wanting to replace the switch assembly with 1 from a Rubicon to do the same thing

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. I was hoping some people would chime in here. I to am interested. Have just a sport but am wanting to replace the switch assembly with 1 from a Rubicon to do the same thing
well looks like I will just have to make a go of it...

keep an eye out for a big puff of white smoke...:atomic:

·
Registered
701 Posts
Good Luck my friend. Just make sure you're not standing in water. I'll keep an eye out

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I haven't done this so I didn't comment before. But I have installed an e-locker and it's just a 2 wire hook up. Should be easy to do the conversion.

I'd say the best way to to do it is to cut off the factory plug (on the Jeep's frame) where it drops down to the diff. Leave 2" of wire on the plug side in case you want to re-attach it in the future.

Take the wiring harness they give you with the locker, cut it off (about 2-3" back from the connecter) and solder the wires together with the factory wires you just cut back, covering the joints with heat shrink tubing. Then wrap them in a protective layer of electrical tape.

That should give you a joint that resists the weather and will be less likely to pull apart than butt connectors.

·
Commercial Member
2,223 Posts
I haven't done this so I didn't comment before. But I have installed an e-locker and it's just a 2 wire hook up. Should be easy to do the conversion.

I'd say the best way to to do it is to cut off the factory plug (on the Jeep's frame) where it drops down to the diff. Leave 2" of wire on the plug side in case you want to re-attach it in the future.

Take the wiring harness they give you with the locker, cut it off (about 2-3" back from the connecter) and solder the wires together with the factory wires you just cut back, covering the joints with heat shrink tubing. Then wrap them in a protective layer of electrical tape.

That should give you a joint that resists the weather and will be less likely to pull apart than butt connectors.
Good plan...I would wait to solder until I tested to make sure the OEM locker switch works with it. Don't see why it wouldn't, but there are weird nannys on these things nowadays.

·
Registered
236 Posts
So...
Did this work?

·
Registered
825 Posts
The Rubicon locker system works through a rather complex logic system that as I understand it incorporates inputs from the transmission control module (TCM), total integrated power module (TIPM), powertrain control module and the engagement switches on the axle housings. You wouldn't have to disable much of this beyond the engagement switched at the housings, you'd just retain the relays and run your wiring directly to them, bypassing the TCM & TIPM.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
204 Posts
The plus for this mod is that he is starting with a Sport so all of the logic mentioned above shouldn't be a problem. He will just have a switch and a locker.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts