Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I'm looking for some advise
I'm wiring my elocker to my spod and curious about the suppression device on the wiring.
I had the locker wired with the harness that came with the lockers. I'm now wanting to hook up to Spod.
My question when I run the power and ground from the locker to the spod do I need to keep the suppression device in the loop or just run the wires to spod?
Does the Spod have a suppression device built in?

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
I wired up front and rear Eaton e-lockers and there was no "suppression device" in the wiring harness. What does it look like? Pix?

·
Registered
236 Posts
By suppression device, I guess you mean a fuse. I would leave it in the wiring. The sPODS I have seen on here have fuses built in. However, if that fuse is not correctly rated your e-locker could be damaged in the event of an electrical issue.

The other option is to replace the fuse for that circuit in the sPOD to the correct rating for the e-locker. Then you can remove the one from the wiring. Bottom line is you want the fuse or suppression device to fail before your equipment is damaged.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I changed the fuse to the 10 amp as that's what the lockers require.
The device I'm talking about looks like this

IMG_0274.jpg

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
I changed the fuse to the 10 amp as that's what the lockers require.
The device I'm talking about looks like this

View attachment 3694209
Not 100% sure, but I would say that is just a splice connector. Would be easy enough to tell by opening it up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello
I'm looking for some advise
I'm wiring my elocker to my spod and curious about the suppression device on the wiring.
I had the locker wired with the harness that came with the lockers. I'm now wanting to hook up to Spod.
My question when I run the power and ground from the locker to the spod do I need to keep the suppression device in the loop or just run the wires to spod?
Does the Spod have a suppression device built in?
I know this is an old thread but for anyone else that finds this and wants to know, here you go:

That is NOT a fuse or splice. It is a Flyback Diode and is put their to protect the terminals in a switch from arcing when you shut off your Eaton locker (or any high current solenoid for that matter). If you want longevity of your switch/relay, you need to keep this in the circuit of your locker.

If you want more details on how Flyback Diodes work and what they do, here's a link to a good Wikipedia article on them:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyback_diode

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know this is an old thread but for anyone else that finds this and wants to know, here you go:

That is NOT a fuse or splice. It is a Flyback Diode and is put their to protect the terminals in a switch from arcing when you shut off your Eaton locker (or any high current solenoid for that matter). If you want longevity of your switch/relay, you need to keep this in the circuit of your locker.

If you want more details on how Flyback Diodes work and what they do, here's a link to a good Wikipedia article on them:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyback_diode

Thank you for the update. I never installed them but still have them in garage.
Now that I know this I’ll put them on!
Could this possibly destroy the Spod or worse cause fire?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts

unlikely on both levels as this is basically a arc interrupter..
and most likely just an added precaution.
on the spod there is a decent distance between the pos and neg that it should not arc and if it were to it would probably only blow the fuse or damage the relay..
I am planning on just going straight to the spod, I will leave the arc interrupter from Eaton in line to make sure my warranty does not get effected..

·
Registered
6,698 Posts

The arcing would eventually destroy the contacts in the relay and you would have to change it out, but I have never seen an arcing switch/relay cause a fire. Anyting is possible I guess... but probable.... no.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The arcing would eventually destroy the contacts in the relay and you would have to change it out, but I have never seen an arcing switch/relay cause a fire. Anyting is possible I guess... but probable.... no.

Good to know.......thanks

·
Registered
118 Posts
I did the same with my E-lockers. I rewired them to my own control system. You can take the diode off the wiring and install in on to your own wiring, which is what I did. The white housing is basically a quick tap setup. You can just pull the Eaton wires out of it when it's open and you will see how they made contact. Then just lay the new wires in the grooves and close the lid, give it a little squeeze with pliers and it will seat the wire and make continuity.

I verified mine with a multimeter to ensure the diode was in the circuit. It's a good idea to keep it. The magnet in the locker is just a big coil. When you de-energize it you get a big voltage spike coming back to the contacts. Over time it was wear out the relay or switch. I don't think it is a fire hazard.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts