Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the opinion of Jeeps purchased from Ebay? I've been 'window shopping' on Ebay - but I don't think I want to purchase my first Wrangler there or do I? Any thoughts, advice, opinion. Thanks

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
One humble opinion from California says no. I searched and drove a lot of crummy Jeeps that had been lifted and modified by hack mechanics before I bought mine. Unless it was a fairly new one there are just too many unknowns.

I did some searching on Craigslist and others. Pics can hide the rusted out windshield frames and rust in the fenders and tubs. Also depends on just how much you want to get involved with before you start driving it.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I say no unless it is local and you can touch, feel, drive, and smell it first.

I bought a 5 ton truck on ebay from a guy about 100 miles away sight unseen trusting his description and word. When I got there I was sorely disappointed. LUCKY for me another guy had contacted him after I won the auction begging him to sell it out from under me for a few dollars more. I let him give me my money back and sell it to the other guy.

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
Ebay is a good place to look for what you want. It will give you some idea of pricing in different areas of the country, but I ain't gonna buy unless I look it over REAL good, drive it and take it to my mechanic.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Bought the CJ on ebay....was located in Maryland.....it was represented correctly we knew what to look for and all turned out good. As in all things - be an informed consumer! :D

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
It will give you some idea of pricing in different areas of the country.
Not really - Jeeps, especially Wranglers seem to hold thier value really well, but ebay sellers seem to think they are made of gold. I mean, I saw a '97 TJ with 3" lift and decent rims with no name tires. Guy wanted $12k for it and with KBB it was only like $7500. A lift should not add more than the price of the lift on resale.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Try Carmax.com nicer photo's ;)

Probably more reliable and you probably have a carmax close to you........

·
Registered
258 Posts
What, My jeep isn't made from gold. I agree stay away from ebay vehicles unless it is close by and you can look and drive it yourself. One place where I found my cj was in truck trader or car trader. I knew what I wanted and found a listing close by though and checked it out before I bought it. You can go to their website also cartrader.com and give your zipcode and how far away from it you want to search for and price range. It will pull up any ads that fit your criteria.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Ebay....

I bought my first jeep localy for $300, 87 YJ, 110k, Usual rust spots on older jeeps... Then I hit a gaurd rail, bent front passenger fender, bent front bumper, crushed rear drive corner, bent tailgate, shattered the rear glass, brakes died... etc....

I did not feel like repairing it (insurance company never found out about me wrecking it), got it towed to my house, took pictures, described everything that went wrong with it, put it up on ebay, started the bidding at $0.99, the auction ended ten days later at $1,300.85, The guy got the brakes fixed in a shop here and drove it all the way back to Maryland....
Ebay has worked out well for me so far.

·
Registered
259 Posts
E-bay is a great place to get a good deal on a vehicle. Just be cautious and patient...look at the Jeep before bidding. If the seller has a problem with that then they're probably hiding something. If they tell you they're out of town, they're trying to scam you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I found my '99 TJ on ebay, and contacted the seller directly. Then I was able to drive to his place and examine the Jeep in person. He told me on the phone that if I didn't like it he would pay my gas back home. So I drove the 5 hrs and was very very happy. I say if you can't contact the seller to make an appointment to see, touch, & DRIVE the Jeep than don't bother with them. Don't be afraid to call or e-mail the seller, if they don't want to talk to you than just move on. IMO don't ever buy a car, or truck of any kind that you can't check out in person for yourself.

·
Registered
109 Posts
A friend of mine was browsing four wheelers on ebay, he ended up getting a really good deal, but checked out a lot of bad ones. I would just make sure you can see it in person. Unless you like toying with chance...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought my first and only jeep of ebay. I had done a fair amount of research and kinda knew what I wanted. The jeep was close by only 2 hours away, but I did not go look at it before I purchased it. Had seen pics but thats it. Well I go and pick it up and it looked just like it was discribed. Problems and all. I figured 1993 YJ 140K hard top $2300.

Maybe I got lucky, but I dont think I would buy another vehicle on there. Unless maybe a jeep. (so damn easy to work on). Just a side note after I got it home I did a little more looking at ebay. The guy I bought the jeep from had bought it on ebay about 3 months earlier. I bought it for $200 less then he. Ha Ha

Just thought I would put in my .02 worth,

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have bought and sold alot of things on ebay over the years, my advice on a vehicle is search only Jeeps in your region. Then you can go and personally meet the seller and look at it. I also recommend the carfax reports on one if it is much money just to be careful of flood damage, etc.
I jumped on a killer deal on ebay for one of the baddest Rubicons I had ever seen. So good I kept checking all the angles before I sent any money. Turns out the guy didn't really have the jeep and had hijacked another auction. He sent fake ebay emails, had a fake website for a shipping company, and fake info for sending the money to ebay for purchase protection, it was going to his personnal account instead. Moral of the story.. be careful with the online deals and its best to deal in person as much as possible.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for all the info/advice. I was curious on how many of you purchased your Wrangler from Ebay. I don't think I would trust buying something without seeing/touching/driving it. I can't believe some of the prices for Wranglers on Ebay. They must be made of gold. Oh, I can't forget the 'scams'.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
i gues both should be included? I would think off-roading flooding more but i'm preatty sure there were many wranglers that got totally flooded from Katrina that are now for sale

1 - 20 of 24 Posts