Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my 2017 Willys 6 speed manual. I've noticed a light coming on and going off on the speedometer dial. It reads ECO. Is this a shift indicator. If it is, can I turn it off, or just ignore it?

By the way, after driving BMWs for the last 16 years, I wish I had bought a Jeep a long time ago!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just picked up my 2017 Willys 6 speed manual. I've noticed a light coming on and going off on the speedometer dial. It reads ECO. Is this a shift indicator. If it is, can I turn it off, or just ignore it?

By the way, after driving BMWs for the last 16 years, I wish I had bought a Jeep a long time ago!
It comes on when you are getting the best fuel mileage or it's "saving" gas. It's not a shift indicator. It can be turned off though in your personal settings. Hope this is the response you were looking for. Congrats on the new Jeep as well!

·
Registered
661 Posts
I turned it off via the settings... drove me nuts flashing on and off! Let's face it, when it's not on your getting 13.4 mpg, when it lights up your getting 13.7 mpg... not really worthy of it's own light.:rofl:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Jeeps are not speed demons. Work the ECO gauge. You can easily get over 16+ MPG. Unless you don't mind. Defiantly comes in handy for road trips and trying to pace that stretch. If not, forget it and floor it.

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
You bought a Jeep not a Prius. I turned mine off. An "ECO" light has absolutely no business being in a Wrangler.

·
Registered
371 Posts
This may have been covered in the owner's manual.
Since you are coming from a Bimmer, my additional piece of advice is to also read about operating the turn signal stalk. It's my understanding these are non-standard in Bavarian offerings. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I turned it off via the settings... drove me nuts flashing on and off! Let's face it, when it's not on your getting 13.4 mpg, when it lights up your getting 13.7 mpg... not really worthy of it's own light.:rofl:

Also turned off. Nothing economical about highway driving on 35s :)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Damn.. Jeepers' do have a high level of HUMOR.. You bought a Jeep for a reason other than GasMIlage. WFO .. Grab another GEAR !

·
Registered
973 Posts
How about using the digital speedometer setting from the menu setting? My ECO doesn't show up unless I'm on the "outside temp" and "direction"( north, east,south, west) setting.I kind of like the digital setting rather than the analog normal gauge.

·
Registered
973 Posts
What year is your Jeep? My 2012 didn't have the digital option for the speedo, nor did it have the oil pressure, coolant temp., etc. My 2016 Willys has all of these.. From menu, first option is digital speedometer with the down arrow, hit the down and it will display speed in digital. I don't know when the EVIC changed, but it was between 2012 and 2016. My 2012 EVIC was basic.. My new one is nicer, and now it even shows actual tire pressures, and life to oil change, my 2012 showed pretty much none of what my Willys shows.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I got better MPG in my 2015 JKU after I turned off the ECO light. Playing the "mini-game" of trying to keep it on turned out to be more wasteful for some reason.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Once you turn it off you get data from the head unit displayed there in its place. Was glad when I turned mine off.

To turn it off, use the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel and watch the screen where ECO is usually displayed. Toggle them until you access the "personal settings". Flip through each setting until you get to the correct one to turn it off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What year is your Jeep? My 2012 didn't have the digital option for the speedo, nor did it have the oil pressure, coolant temp., etc. My 2016 Willys has all of these.. From menu, first option is digital speedometer with the down arrow, hit the down and it will display speed in digital. I don't know when the EVIC changed, but it was between 2012 and 2016. My 2012 EVIC was basic.. My new one is nicer, and now it even shows actual tire pressures, and life to oil change, my 2012 showed pretty much none of what my Willys shows.
I've got a mid-13 with the old EVIC.

Anyone know if a dealer flash could add new options?

·
Registered
897 Posts
That ECO light turns on when the engine load is under 50%. I know that cause I monitored it with a scanner, out of curiosity.
So if one drives like a granny will naturally save some gas.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts