Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

First off, my jeep is all stock at this point. It's a 2012 two door sport. Saving money for my own place before the mods start. I'm not doing any out of the original in terms of driving or things that would waste gas stupidly but mpg was what I expected it to be for a wrangler...around 15ish.

But I was just curious if anyone else out there uses the Economy setting. I recently discovered it by accident. Recently, I have been doing a lot of driving for my rec softball league and used to burn through half a tank of gas or more easily driving into Boston and back home. After finding the economy setting, I've used a whooping quarter of a tank in the last three days including my softball driving? <--- easily 30 to 40 mile trips

Either the setting is lying to me and my gas guage is inaccurate or I'm getting absurd mpg I was wondering if anyone could comment on this and any other benefits and drawbacks of the economy setting (on-road)...seems odd to me.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I thought eco mode only added the word "ECO" to your display if you were driving in an eco sort of way? It doesn't actually do anything. Kind of light a shift light for a standard..

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
I thought eco mode only added the word "ECO" to your display if you were driving in an eco sort of way? It doesn't actually do anything. Kind of light a shift light for a standard..
X2. Doesn't change how the engine performs.

From page 294 of 2012 owners manual:

ECO (Fuel Saver Mode) — If Equipped
The ECO message will display below the outside temperature in the EVIC display (if the audio system is on the ECO indicator will override the audio information display line if the Display Fuel Saver personal setting is ON — see Personal Settings section). This message will appear whenever you are driving in a fuel efficient manner. This feature allows you to monitor when you are driving in a fuel efficient manner, and it can be used to modify driving habits in order to increase fuel economy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. Mine is always displayed over the miles driven display, sure it's the same thing though. I'll keep an eye on it tomorrow when I go to work. Just feel like it's always "On" and don't understand why I'm suddenly using less gas making the same trips driving in the same manner I always do when I went through significantly more gas.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
The ECO light is nothing more than an in your face display of your TPS sensor. Minimal throttle will effectively activate the ECO light. Minimal/no throttle input maximizes fuel economy. Most people think RPMs have to do with fuel economy, but the fact of the matter is, they have absolutely nothing to do with MPG. RPMs, simply dictate your throttle use, which is what effects MPG, which is why cruising at 1200rpm is terrible for MPG but cruising at 5000rpm is excellent for MPG. Both are extremes however.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Hey all,

First off, my jeep is all stock at this point. It's a 2012 two door sport. Saving money for my own place before the mods start. I'm not doing any out of the original in terms of driving or things that would waste gas stupidly but mpg was what I expected it to be for a wrangler...around 15ish.

But I was just curious if anyone else out there uses the Economy setting. I recently discovered it by accident. Recently, I have been doing a lot of driving for my rec softball league and used to burn through half a tank of gas or more easily driving into Boston and back home. After finding the economy setting, I've used a whooping quarter of a tank in the last three days including my softball driving? <--- easily 30 to 40 mile trips

Either the setting is lying to me and my gas guage is inaccurate or I'm getting absurd mpg I was wondering if anyone could comment on this and any other benefits and drawbacks of the economy setting (on-road)...seems odd to me.

How long have you had the Jeep? As the engine breaks in, mpg's tend to increase quite a bit.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have a 2013 and I am getting an average of 22 mpg.
I have an automatic and the driving is 25 miles of rural
roads doing 40-45mph and then 60-70 mph for the last
30 miles to work. My average is calculated by filling up
at same gas station when almost empty then filling again
at same station and hand calculating the average mpg.
Rob .....

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
The novelty of the Eco indicator wore off after about the first week of ownership, and I shut it off.

·
Registered
927 Posts
On my Sport if the odometer window is left in the mode where it says "eco" when I am driving with light throttle it says "on" next to it, I believe it is just an indicator you are driving in a way that uses less fuel, having it say "eco" does not change anything in how the engine operates or what kind of MPG you get.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Strokerswild said:
The novelty of the Eco indicator wore off after about the first week of ownership, and I shut it off.
Same here, especially once I found out the EVIC shows your current radio station/audio choice if it's turned off, so off it went.

·
Super Moderator
23,658 Posts
I wonder if the basic sport model has the ability to shut it off? I too have become annoyed with it after the first month.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
You might have changed your driving habits to try and maintain the ECO light. This could cause a change in MPGs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You might have changed your driving habits to try and maintain the ECO light. This could cause a change in MPGs.
This is exactly what happens. Once you have the light in your face you tend to pay attention to it and adjust your driving habits. I don't look at mine...I figure if you want fuel economy buy a Honda.

·
Registered
343 Posts
RPMs, simply dictate your throttle use, which is what effects MPG, which is why cruising at 1200rpm is terrible for MPG but cruising at 5000rpm is excellent for MPG. Both are extremes however.
Huh? I'd hate to see my gas mileage if I was cruising around at 5000rpm.

I also turned off the ECO light. It bugged me. In my Jeep (manual) the tach has a solid green indicator section up to 2000RPM then it breaks up until 2500RPM. I assume that keeping the RPM in this range is when the ECO indicator is displayed.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
The ECO light is nothing more than an in your face display of your TPS sensor. Minimal throttle will effectively activate the ECO light. Minimal/no throttle input maximizes fuel economy. Most people think RPMs have to do with fuel economy, but the fact of the matter is, they have absolutely nothing to do with MPG. RPMs, simply dictate your throttle use, which is what effects MPG, which is why cruising at 1200rpm is terrible for MPG but cruising at 5000rpm is excellent for MPG. Both are extremes however.
I disagree. My '11 lost 2 MPG after the 4.88 gear swap with nothing else unchanged on the same stretch of highway simply because my RPMs were at 2,500 instead of the 1,800 it would cruise at in stock form. RPMs are the killer..because more air cycling requires more fuel to achieve ratio. Keep the RPMs down, and you'll save gas.

The OP has discovered the ECO light and like everyone says...it's just a light. It's sole purpose is to train you to drive in a more efficient manner. It does not change the ECU programming whatsoever.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts