Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum, but I don't have a Jeep yet.

I fancy the 2-door JK for a while; I did tons of reading about it among others on this forum and after three test drives at a local dealership I almost bought one. My wife drove the first two test drives, really liked it and I drove the third last test drive and that's where I got a bit of a cold feet.

My wife and I like to buy this Jeep as fun vehicle for our household for weekend fun, but also one that my wife can use for her 60 miles per day commute, half of which will be at open freeway speeds.

My worries are about her getting into a situation where she would need to make an evasive maneuver and I wonder how this 2-door Jeep would do in her (less experienced driver) hands.

Has any of you have any experiences with a 2-Door Jeep in such evasive maneuver situations, perhaps even at freeway speeds? Would you think that the ECS would perform equally well on the Wrangler as it does e.g. on this 2014 Cherokee?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-NbvvE8J1w

Many thanks in advance. I hope to be able to join the community soon.

My wife and I are interested in the 2-door JK only. We already rented the 4-door version for a week when we were on vacation and felt very safe with it.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
When I was in Hawaii a few years back, I rented a 2009 JK. I recall coming down a mountain driving on a zig zag road. I was doing a little spirited driving and went into one of the sharp corners a little too fast.

The Jeep backed off on the throttle and applied the brakes to a couple of the wheels. That was actually the first time I've ever felt ESC do it's thing. So, it is effective to some degree.

But, the Wrangler has a high center of gravity. They just don't have the same stability that a car has. Despite ESC, a car will almost always be able to outswerve a Wrangler (and most other SUV's) in emergency situations.

·
Registered
412 Posts
If I had a 60 mile commute the last vehicle I would pick is my JKU. I've had ESC straighten me out in the icy/wet situations, but there's more factors than that in why I wouldn't want to drive it 120 miles a day.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies so far.

Actually the 60 miles os the total distance, so 30 miles each way.

Also I understand the high center of gravity issue and that it won't handle like a sports car.

I'm just hoping the ECS would give my wife some corrective help during an emergency menauver without her flipping over right away.

So that is why I'm asking for experiences with a 2-door + ECS.

·
Premium Member
7,351 Posts
70mph on the freeway, at night, in the rain, pulling my trailer at close to max, no trailer brakes with my 2 door. A very bad accident happened about 4-5 cars in front of me I was in the 3rd lane. I had to maneuver all the way to the shoulder under full abs to avoid hitting anyone. I didn't think I was going to make but it did just fine. I on the other hand need a few minutes to clean my drawers.

·
Registered
876 Posts
If this was 20 years ago. I might worry about rolling. If she's not taking ramps at 100 or wheeling the shit out of it, you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
Our commute is about 90 miles each way, much of that highway. We don't always take the Jeep (JKU) but sometimes we do. No issues hitting 80+ mph, no stability issues to speak of. If there were stability issues the ESC would likely prevent a roll over within reason. We have had the ESC step in and curtail some of our more aggressive driving.
But here is the rub. The ESC is going to help prevent things from getting out of hand by cutting power and / or applying brakes. But it can't do anything to make the Jeep actuall turn sharper or handle better if the situation arises where you need to take serious evasive maneuvers. If you get in over your head and you need to do something the Jeep can't do the ESC probably isn't going to make the Jeep suddenly able to do it. The key is to know the limits of the Jeep and drive accordingly. If you find yourself in a situation like that it really isn't the Jeeps fault, it would be driver error. You can make the same kind of driver error in any vehicle, you need to drive within the limits of the vehicle.
Why is a JKU not an option?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you get in over your head and you need to do something the Jeep can't do the ESC probably isn't going to make the Jeep suddenly able to do it. The key is to know the limits of the Jeep and drive accordingly.
Thank you and I agree with everything you wrote, even beyond these quoted lines.

My wife and I are both middle aged, we understand the nature of this Jeep as well as we really fully understand the physics and the cautions involved.

I had trucks and SUVs pretty much all my life, with by now over 2 million miles driven. Indeed that is exactly why I'm asking this question, because I have seen and avoided my share of freak accidents.

So my concern is primarilly if the 2-door JK would handle (within reason) as well as the Cherokee in the linked video. So let's say my wife gets into a situation on a straight road (like in the video), where she gets scared and overreacts, would then the JK be able to save the day by correcting her INITIAL scarred overreaction.

Those are the type of experiences I'm looking for.

I even said jokingly to my wife, that maybe we should make another test drive and just throw the steering over a bit. Of course we would not do that on a test drive in traffic.

Anyhow I would love to know what the ECS 'can do' on the JK 2-door (oh and 2-door JK simply because she is soo fixed on that and won't consider a 4-door, believe me I tried hard already).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts