Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '05 Rubicon that I am going to install an Edge Throttle Body, Edge Programmer, and AEM Cold Air Intake on today. Should I reflash the ECU per these instructions, http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/ecu-reset-360.html, after doing the mods? It seems that after reflashing the ECU it will take into account the increased flow. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
There really is no need to reset the ecu. It will relearn new values starting within the first minute of operation. You probably wont feel much difference.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There really is no need to reset the ecu. It will relearn new values starting within the first minute of operation. You probably wont feel much difference.
What is the purpose of reflashing the ECU then? Thanks

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
A reflash is a method to add a new calibration to the ecu. unhooking the battery is a reset and there is little point to do that. It will speed up re-learning by a minute or so.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
I agree, those mods aren't worth the $$$ unless your TJ is at the drag strip every weekend. Those mods only do anything when you're at wide-open-throttle and at or near redline RPMs.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
a re-flash is when you want a different program (shift points, rev limiter, top speed, air fuel mixture, bigger injectors)than the factory one. those mods you did are more of a reset situation, so the computer relearns the sensors readings than uses the last known configuration. The ECU likes to work on averages, say a sensor hickups, its not going to adjust anything on one sensor reading for a millisecond (this is what throws a code if the sensor continues to act outside of known perimeters), so it takes a broad picture of what needs to be adjusted.

When changing things the computer needs to relearn quick and the best way is to undo the neg batt and turn the headlights on for a few minutes to totally ensure the system hasn't retained any memory. It then runs a factory program and adjusts to what its reading, not what its learned over the past 500 miles.

On top of that, i don't think Chrysler ECU's are reflashable, like a Ford are.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Also the edge programmer is something that over rides the factory ECU with its own program...i used a superchip on my F150. Changes some of the computers perimeters for sensors and timing etc.

Reset= computer relearning engine characteristics and adapting them based on the original program

programmer= replacing the factory base program with one set up for the mods done, and makes improvements to factory short comings (emissions controls that hinder performance mainly)

re-flash= usually involves a dyno, and laptop and a tech building a custom program based on the performance mods added and real world output on the dyno , specific to that car/jeep only and not a blanket program for general mods.

hope that helps a bit.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I agree, those mods aren't worth the $$$ unless your TJ is at the drag strip every weekend. Those mods only do anything when you're at wide-open-throttle and at or near redline RPMs.
I disagree somewhat. Stage one as it is called in almost any motorcycle, car, or SUV is to cool, un-restrict and streamline the airflow, then allow more air/fuel mixture to reach the engine, and then usually free up smog restricting exhaust. Although not the best mod for slow and low crawling, its definitely not a red line maxed out only mod (although that's where it does its best is in the upper power band because your cramming more down its throat and out the back faster.) You'll see your performance in the mid-range daily driving also.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
I disagree somewhat. Stage one as it is called in almost any motorcycle, car, or SUV is to cool, un-restrict and streamline the airflow, then allow more air/fuel mixture to reach the engine,
Would it change your opinion if I told you the stock air intake and throttle body actually flow more than the engine can use at wide open throttle at redline? What if I told you no intake is going to change the air/fuel mixture since zero fuel passes through the intake tube or throttle body?

and then usually free up smog restricting exhaust.
now, what if I told you the major restriction for the 2005 4.0L is actually the 0331 cylinder head exhaust ports and the cam duration/lift? In other words, you need to port the head and install a better cam to actually use more air, or even create a need for more air.

his 05 also has two catalytic converters directly below the exhaust manifold, which are illegal to remove. and yet, all that smog stuff still flows more air than the engine uses at WOT + redline.

Although not the best mod for slow and low crawling, its definitely not a red line maxed out only mod (although that's where it does its best is in the upper power band because your cramming more down its throat and out the back faster.) You'll see your performance in the mid-range daily driving also.
now, what if I told you they can't change anything programming in closed loop, and are limited by EPA restrictions to only alter programming in open loop. now, the 4.0L only goes into open loop above 3000 rpms with more than 3/4 throttle applied. how often do you drive above 3000 rpms with your foot floored?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I agree with you on the need for the CAI and throttle body and k&n filter and programmer on a jeep = the least bang for as much bucks as you spend, but its not my money:whistling:

i was just saying how theory wise, you open up the intake, you increase the flow to the combustion chamber, and you exhaust the gasses faster for more potential performance. @stage two you work on putting that power more efficiently to the drivetrain, be it through injectors or clutch keeping the wheels on the ground. ans @ stage 3 you just supercharge the thing with 15 #'s of boost and hold on:eek:

I am talking from experience with a mustang cobra, and agree whole heartily that Jeeps are not mustangs, but regardless of the power plant or application, the theory is the same, it just falls on the wasted side of things on a vehicle like a jeep:surrender:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts