Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SIAP - I searched for threads but didn't find anything specific (and my search skills may be lacking) so feel free to re-direct me if needed.

We do Jeep Jamborees and other off road events and it looks like most are switching from CB's to GMRS radios for required on trail communication. I have read up on the basics but I have not been able to find much specific "How to" info. I understand I need a license (simple & easy) and Midland offers a unit that is similar to my CB setup with all controls on the mic ( MXT275 MicroMobile® Two-Way Radio | Midland USA ).
Does this unit have all/most of the "features" you would want?
15 Watt - they go up to 50 Watt, can I assume the 15 Watt will at least have same performance/range as old CB?
Assume it is nice to have Repeater channels? Compatibility with FRS Radios?

My other questions are more about the antennas and mounts.
Do the antenna mounts need to be "grounded" (probably wrong terminology) like my current CB antenna?
I have a grounded (I think) hood mount for current CB antenna - Jeep Wrangler CB Antenna Hood Mount (1997 - 2006) . Can I use this same mount for GMRS antenna?
How important is the length of the antenna for range etc.? Or is the "Gain" of the antenna more important - Gain: 6dB vs 3dB? or does more length automatically mean higher Gain?
Do you have to "tune" a GMRS antenna like you have to set the "SWR" on CB antennas?

Any info appreciated!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't know frs/gmrs very well but that looks like a fully featured radio. Depending on your atenna setup, you should get the same or better range than CB.
Repeater channels are only as good as the coverage, check out myGMRS.com - Repeater Map for coverage maps.
All antenna mounts need to be grounded.
You may need to modify your mount to work with the antenna of you choosing. All of the attenna listed on that website are NMO, not the typical 3/8 CB mount.
As with most antenna the longer it is and the higher it is mounted the better your range is. Gain and length go hand in hand.
At UHF/VHF frequencys you typically don't have to tune the antenna but it should be checked to make sure that there are no problems with your installation. If you or anyone else wants to have their SWR checked in the SoCal SB mountain area I have a VNA that can check just about any radio setup as long as it uses SO239 style connectors.

KN6ILQ

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
The Diamond 770 is a dual band, no ground plane antenna that will work fine for GMRS. I have one and know a bunch of hams with them on Jeeps. It works great.

You should tune it. A standard SWR meter will work if it covers UHF up to 470 Mhz but an antenna analyzer would be better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts