Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks purchased a 2012 Rubicon and I'm getting this exhaust smell whenever I open the drivers side window... Dealer can smell it but cannot pin point it. Nothing is coming up on their machines, and the CAT is not over heating. Any Ideas????.

It's not a jeep if the window's arent down :dance:

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
What does it smell like? Rotten eggs? If so it is probably your is your CAT (cheap gas recently?).....or maybe a bad battery.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Survey says, bad cat' converter.

HERE

Found a previous thread with links.
GL.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Is the Jeep really new, mine had a weird smell for like the first 100 miles or so, was told they coat the exhaust in oil to prevent them from rusting on the lot. Just took a few miles for it to burn off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the Jeep really new, mine had a weird smell for like the first 100 miles or so, was told they coat the exhaust in oil to prevent them from rusting on the lot. Just took a few miles for it to burn off.
Yes it a new 2012 JKU Rubicon...

·
Registered
897 Posts
Does that mean we should coat them in oil so they don't rust in our driveway?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
If its bran spanking new, its your cat, use good gas and run it a few thousand to break up the charcol a bit. Its all good.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Maybe.. But your exhaust shouldn't rust, unless it wasn't coated properly. My 2007's exhaust looked as good as the day I bought it (a little dirty), when I traded it for the 2012. *shrug*

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well today I took my power washer and washed the engine and heads etc. Prior to washing it I could smell the same faint smell. Sulfur... Heading out now to see if it comes into the cab while the drivers window is down. :popcorn:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It seems at the moment the cleaning of the engine has stopped the smell.:dance:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had that smell for the first 800-900 miles. At first I thought I was messing up driving (manual/clutch) or just hitting the brakes a little too hard. Glad the smell is gone now :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Jeeperz Creeperz said:

A Jeep shouldn't be sitting in the driveway long enough to rust anyways. :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts