Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Other then looks and crushing another car in a accident, what do u get out of the bumper.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Maltesefalcn said:
My JK is my daily driver. If I replace the stock bumper with a 136-lb ACE bull bar bumper, will I see a decrease in MPG due to added weight?

ACE JK Mid Width Bumper (Bull Bar)

Thanks.
Any weight, and surface area that is added to the jeep and you will see worse mileage.

Light = better.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Other then looks and crushing another car in a accident, what do u get out of the bumper.
I live in a deer-infested area, my wife's cars have taken 3 deer hits in 12 years.

I'm not saying that's the primary reason [that would be the aforementioned looks and crushing another car]. But you asked what else other than that. What else would be the actual intended purpose of a bull bar (or "roo bar" as I have read they're called down under). :rolleyes:

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
136lbs? That is a LOT of weight to me and yes it's going to affect your mpg but then again who cares?! :D

·
Registered
583 Posts
I didn't know we got mileage in Jeeps:rofl:

·
Registered
250 Posts
It's a good way to mount a winch.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Have you seen the pictures that ACE posted of the truck that rearended them with the rear bumper/carrier installed?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have a quad hoop bumper and winch.
Up hill, down hill, top on / off, it don't matter. 18.5MPG same as the first day off the lot.
Its as aerodynamic as a brick. :)

·
Registered
710 Posts
the Kolector said:
Have you seen the pictures that ACE posted of the truck that rearended them with the rear bumper/carrier installed?
Mop

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Your driving habits will show a greater or lesser effect on MPG than a simple 136 lb/61.8 kg addition to the vehicle.

Calculating the total front surface area of the bumper versus the stock bumper and expecting a change in MPG? Completely silly. It's like taking off your wristwatch and expecting your 100 yard dash run times to significantly improve. One would be better off removing the top, folding down the windshield, and driving that way for a decrease in frontal area and a measurable increase in mileage.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I never look at the price of gas. I just fill it up.
Gas is like milk, you have to by it anyway, so why bother looking at the cost. It all balances out in the end.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Just removing the air dam from the bottom of the stock front bumper will decrease gas milage by 1 to 1.5 mpg (and cause the hood to flutter at highway speeds). Wind resistance likely will have more of an effect on your fuel mileage than the weight. The main thing you will notice from weight with the stock suspension is more bottoming out while off road. These things already blow through the stock suspension travel on even small bumps. A bumper that adds 136 lbs right out on the front of the Jeep will cause that to be even more noticeable.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts