Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just test drove a 2010 Sport. It was in really nice condition, but the previous owner had put a 2.5" lift kit on it and a set of 35" mud terrain tires. It certainly looks great, but the driving experience is a bit dicey:
  • Despite having a 3.73 axle it felt quite sluggish in acceleration
  • Clearly the speedometer had not been recalibrated - when it showed 50mph, my phone's gps showed 61
  • The tires are LOUD on the road
  • It felt loose compared to other jeeps I've driven - very skittish and wandering
My question is how much of the last point is due to the tires, and how much is due to the lift kit? Also, would it look silly to switch back to 17" wheels with 33" tires with the 2.5" lift?

·
Registered
590 Posts
I am guessing the caster is off causing it to feel squirrelly. Are the control arms adjustable? If so, take it to an alignment shop that is used to working on built Jeeps.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I agree. I have a simple 2.5 inch budget boost (spacer lift). It's steering was a little twitchy at highway speeds. I added a set of Rancho geometry correction brackets to correct the castor and it was an immediate improvement.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any thoughts on the look of 17" wheels with 33" tires on a wrangler with a 2.5" lift?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I personally like the looks of 33s on a two door Jeep. 33s certainly are going to give better on road performance. At the end of the day, how you plan to use the Jeep should weigh into tire options.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I personally like the looks of 33s on a two door Jeep. 33s certainly are going to give better on road performance. At the end of the day, how you plan to use the Jeep should weigh into tire options.
Almost all on-road, and given that I'm in SoCal, there will more than my fair share of freeway driving. Hence the 33s being a better choice. I'm just a bit worried that they'll look silly with the 2.5" lift.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
If the Jeep has the issues you listed, why would you still even consider it?

It probably has a junk lift on it, 3.73 isn't even close to being the correct gear ration for the 3.8 motor, the ride is sketchy, and you will have to buy a programmer. Seems clear enough that this jeep should be avoided...

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Almost all on-road, and given that I'm in SoCal, there will more than my fair share of freeway driving. Hence the 33s being a better choice. I'm just a bit worried that they'll look silly with the 2.5" lift.
I feel like my 35's look small sometimes, but only from a distance. On a 2 door 35's are perfect looking and 37's for a 4 door.

·
Registered
818 Posts
MTs aren't the best road based tires as you might have guessed. They seem to get louder as they wear as well.

All kinds of ways to go at this, but I'd swap off the muds for some all terrains. If you want the aggressive look, go for something like the Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Could be ball joints loose track bar, loose tie rod ends, drag link etc... kinda hard to tell without seeing it in person. mud tires are inherently loud, most get louder with age, thats normal. Have you driven a 4x4 on mud tires before? it won't feel like a street tire but it should feel tight not skittish and wandering... If its a manual transmission no big deal on the speedometer being off thats pretty normal, if its an auto then that alone would probably scare me off as it most likely has been doing a lot of extra shifting to push the 35s with high gearing and the computer thrown off, bad combo. the 3.73 are not enough gear for 35s would probably wanna go with 4.56 or 4.88, or 5.13 if you really want it to aggressive, no JK would be considered "quick" vs normal cars but it should have proper gearing to not be a dog.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts