Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few weeks back a buddy and I took on the task of removing an EGR Valve from my 2011 JK (3.8L). Of course, the idiot light came on regarding this so I was wanting to remove it to see if a simple cleaning would help clear the code. After a few minutes of removing the passenger front fender, we could barely access the valve between the firewall and the engine. All I can say is I would LOVE to meet the genius engineer who decided this was a good place to put it. It is damn near impossible to get the bolts loosened for the valve.

After two and a half hours of trying anything we could think of, we ended up calling it quits and maybe try another day. Has anyone had success getting these out and what in the
did you do? Most repair shops want you to drop the engine to gain access, which if I'm going that far I might as well get the clutch and rear seal replaced along with a whole list of other stuff my wallet really will cry about. ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
I’ve done it twice on my ‘08 JKR. It is a pain, but can be done. There are you tube videos on this and as well as some great write ups in this forum to help you thru it.

Do a little research and you can tackle it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve done it twice on my ‘08 JKR. It is a pain, but can be done. There are you tube videos on this and as well as some great write ups in this forum to help you thru it.

Do a little research and you can tackle it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's the problem, I tried everything people suggested and nothing worked. Can't get the far bolt undone. The wrench pops off as soon as you put any force on it due to the placement. I searched the forum for EGR and found nothing. Could you link to the relevant thread?

·
Registered
119 Posts
So how did it go? I used the same video above, and everything worked out. I think the best tip I got (from this site) was to get a s-shaped ratchet wrench. This helped tremendously in getting at that back bolt. Also lots of liquid wrench. I rapped a screw driver on it once I got the 1st three bolts off to help break the back bolt free (rotating the top of it toward the middle).

that wrench is the best $30 I’ve ever spent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts