Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,971 Posts
Thanks, Spent the last couple months getting my old tractor a little more trail ready, couldn't wait for the heat to let up, great reason to take a couple days off..

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Im in for the Great Western run! Keep us posted on the dates. how many people normally make these runs?
Usually 2-4 vehicles... Most of them take 3 days or more so that limits participation a little. If it helps, we can do a little less of GW and cover in 2 days, but I'd like to get up above Flagstaff and that might take a little longer.

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ok, glad I checked up on this one... The rules have changed a little and we now need to get our permits online. They can be done up to 6 months in advance. I will post the link this evening when I get home. I will also put in a brief overview of the trip....
@Got it at last
@Leadnut

I met with CBP and they highlighted the area for me to be "cautious". It is in the Organ Pipe National Monument. There is a camp near there, but I intend to take us further down the trail to Tule Well where the cross border roads are many miles apart. We will camp either Tule Well or Christmas Pass.

Reactions: Got it at last

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The plan is to pull out of the valley around 7am on Saturday morning with an arrival in Ajo around 9:30. We'll stop at the Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge visitors center to make sure everyone has the same maps, etc. I do also like to check out roadside monuments in the area of the trip...

We'll hit Darby Wells Road a couple miles out of town and off we go.

Organ Pipe National Monument is about 13 miles in.

Another 10 miles and we'll hit Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge and pass the first Border Patrol station called Forward Operating Base.

About 40 miles in, we will pass Camp Grip which is the second CBP station and Papago Well which is also the first camp area. Between the 2 CBP stations is the area with the most illegal immigration activity.

At 49 miles we hit the sandy area... And a few more miles and we are at the Pinacate Lava Flow and pass the Nameer Grave site. There are many graves littered along the trail...

At 72 miles in around 5 hours drive, we will reach Tule Well. At that point we will decide to either set camp there or head up to see if we prefer the Christmas Pass site about 7 miles away. The Christmas Pass site has views, the Tule Well site is protected by trees.

There are many more route choices on day 2 and we will make the call at camp... We can run more mountain loops and camp near Fortuna Mine or a more direct route and camp at Mittry Lake near Yuma...

Day 2 could have some miles in it if we choose... I'd say a minimum of 55 and could go quick, but could go well over 70 if we choose the mountain routes and add some time as we pass through the Barry M Goldwater Range, part of the Yuma Marine Corps Air Station.

Day 3 is pretty much just the trip back to Phoenix...

Here is the link to the permit. https://luke.isportsman.net

Instructions here:

https://luke.isportsman.net/files/Luke AFB Registration and User Directions.pdf

You create an account and there is a video to watch before you can get your permit. They also have links to a number of maps that are useful. The BMGR-W and the CPNWR would cover most of what we are doing.

Most important, we must check in and log the areas we intend to visit prior to our trip.

Reactions: SubmarineAZ

·
Registered
149 Posts
Too cool! I'm comfortable on either side of the border, i'll definitely make a future trip. I'd bring a couple of extra gallons of water and MRE's for the migrants though, never know if one will grow up and cure cancer one day.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,971 Posts
Permit in hand, vacation time locked in, Sign me up coach!!!

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Update on the run... the Taco had to bail at last minute with work issues.
@Got it at last was a real trooper and a pleasure to have on the trip. I hope we do many more together and get in some great runs in the future. Watch for my Mojave Road post, expecting it to be in March...

Here's a few photos from the trip. I believe we covered over 140 miles and there was a lot of 7 MPH stuff and there were some well graded 25 MPH areas too...

Making our way down the first couple of miles.

There were a variety of active and not active wells along the way.

An Organ Pipe Cactus along the way...

The odd Road Work sign on the dirt road 40 miles from anything...

The warnings... Seen multiple times.

The old Organ Pipe sign.

The Cabeza Prieta sign.

Another well with fresh water access.

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Continued:

Proof we were on the right path...

There were a variety of conditions... Some hard embedded rock.

Some true sand washes.

We saw lots of Cholla...

That odd speed limit sign 60 miles from ANYTHING....

A little sunset on night 1.

Some campfire fun with my spouse and our little adventure dog.

The little Kangaroo Rat that hung out with us for at least an hour and a half...

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
More:

Morning of day 2.

A short 7 mile run up to Christmas pass and back as we started day 2.

The Boy Scout Monument... Don't know much about it.

Entering the Barry M Goldwater Military Range...

They mean business...

And they have a sense of humor... We think.

More wildlife. :)

The Fortuna Mine shaft.

We took a lot of photos, but I wanted to just throw a few up so you could see what it was like. My wife took a bunch too, but I haven't had a chance to check those out. If there is something really cool, I'll post them...

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
3,971 Posts
I really enjoyed the trip, time away and off the grid, a good break-in on my tranny swap, and some great company.

I got lost and stopped for directions. This guy was standing out in the middle of nowhere. I took it as advice as to which way not to go. LOL

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Looks like an awesome time!

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Upset I had to miss this one. Im looking forward to getting out more this year.
I'm looking at dates for a Mojave Trail run. I'll get a post up when I have a couple options. Checking on March as we don't want to go in the heat...

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'm looking at dates for a Mojave Trail run. I'll get a post up when I have a couple options. Checking on March as we don't want to go in the heat...

Would love to join a Mojave run. I’m out of the Santa Barbara/Ventura area. Been planning some desert trips for this winter and Mojave is in my list along with Anza Borrego and DV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
798 Posts
Would love to join a Mojave run. I’m out of the Santa Barbara/Ventura area. Been planning some desert trips for this winter and Mojave is in my list along with Anza Borrego and DV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ive heard good things about Anza and DV. Id like to do both.

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
21 - 40 of 44 Posts