Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well I was expecting to get my '12 JKU back yesterday after a significant build that included a lift, re-gearing, lockers, and an AEV hood.

After completion my shop took it for a test drive and didn't get far before the front pinion failed. It was trailered back to the shop and tore back down. In doing so it was very clear the pinion (a Yukon) was not properly hardened and simply sheared. In doing so while running it took out the ring gear, new Eaton E-Locker, and damaged the drive shaft.

Sounds like Yukon showed appropriate concern as they would clearly be worried about a bad run making it to the street. The shop has re-ordered all the necessarry parts and Yukon is even covering the installation of a new Tom Woods front drive shaft.

The shop has been nothing short of amazing. Thank you Unlimited Offroad.

Eric

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Stopped in to check status on the truck today. I misspoke in my previous note as it was the rear that blew up. Looking at all the parts it's clear either the pinion was defective or the pinion bearing failed. Long story short it snapped, took out the rear drive shaft (smacked the gas tank armored well) and once the pinion was released it got sucked into the axle housing and destroyed the ring, new locker and even shattered the housing.

Yukon is going to examine everything and I am guessing they will take care of the shop as they are into this for a couple grand in replacement parts minimum I am sure.

New housing is in, waiting on the drive shaft to button it back up. Can't wait to get it back.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Finally got the Jeep back tonight after two weeks and a wild ride. Had it re-geared, lockers installed, new AEV hood, AEV Dualsport lift, and Duratracs/ATX Wheels. Thru the process the new pinion failed and took out the rear drive shaft, ring and pinion, carrier, locker, and axle housing. Thousands of dollars later in parts and labor including a new free Tom Woods rear drive shaft (covered by the installer) I have it back. It rides amazing and looks better than I could have ever imagined. I got it back to late for pics but will snap a couple tomorrow to post along with my s-Pod and CB installs over the next couple days.

In line for next steps is a HI-lift jack, Truck Lite headlights, Recon blinkers and side lights, new led tails, a new Warn 9.5cti-s winch with cover, and a Viair on board compressor....

Cannot wait!!!

Eric

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Wee I received several of my orders today for projects I planned this next week or two. First were my IPCW Platnium Smoke taillights. Already had an issue with them right out of the box so returning for a another set. Also on tap for this week:

New laser etched rockers for my sPod panel
Viair compressor
Warn 9.5CTI-s Winch and cover
Hi-lift jack
Recon Smoked LED lights for the side markers and front turn signals
Truck-Lite Led Headlights

And I still need to finish my CB install and adjust my tire carrier for the new Tire/Wheel combo last week as well as re-mount my Kenwood backup camera. Lots to do!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Jeep looks sick!!!! Dumping a ton of dough into it. How much you upto without cost of jeep ? Whateverthat numberis you must have a great job ,great inheritance or good method of holding up banks.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
GatesHD said:
Jeep looks sick!!!! Dumping a ton of dough into it. How much you upto without cost of jeep ? Whateverthat numberis you must have a great job ,great inheritance or good method of holding up banks.
Thanks man. Two rules for me. Never ask a woman what she weighs and never put in writing how much you have spent in mods. Lol

It has been expensive but I absolutely love my jeep!!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Got a few projects done so I thought I would share they included my sPod with laser etched actuators, Truck-Lite headlights, CB is mounted, and LED tails in Platinum color. I still have to get the third taillight done to match, adjust my tire carrier from the new shoe install and also am waiting on the replacement handle for the tire carrier that fell off. Sorry for the dirty pics as it hasn't stopped raining here for about two weeks I think.

Attachments

·
Registered
640 Posts
Elarson said:
Got a few projects done so I thought I would share they included my sPod with laser etched actuators, Truck-Lite headlights, CB is mounted, and LED tails in Platinum color. I still have to get the third taillight done to match, adjust my tire carrier from the new shoe install and also am waiting on the replacement handle for the tire carrier that fell off. Sorry for the dirty pics as it hasn't stopped raining here for about two weeks I think.
That Spod looks sick. Did you change your freedom top?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
JKMigs said:
That Spod looks sick. Did you change your freedom top?
Thanks. The laser etched switches really finish it off. I just put the hardtop on for winter but its just the standard top color matched to the body instead of standard textured black. It's an option when you order.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Elarson said:
Thanks. The laser etched switches really finish it off. I just put the hardtop on for winter but its just the standard top color matched to the body instead of standard textured black. It's an option when you order.
Where's the latch? Unless I missed it. My top is the same but I have a latch above the rear view mirror where yours looks like it doesn't have one. Did you do the install yourself? Help a brother out where'd you find that? If you don't mind that is.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I attached a photo of my top.

Wierd...mine is a 2012 and yes you are correct my Freedom tops do not have a latch that goes there at all. There is a front center latch but it is between the two tops about 4 inches back and forces them together. There is no latch like that on mine in the center front. Must have made a engineering change at some point...

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I attached a photo of my top.

Looks like that latch is right where the split is between the two front panels...wierd.. don't they changed from my style to your or from your style to mine. I can say this...my freedom panels are one of the few out of all the Jeeps guys I hang with that are not leaking so far in the front...
we'll see.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Elarson said:
Looks like that latch is right where the split is between the two front panels...wierd.. don't they changed from my style to your or from your style to mine. I can say this...my freedom panels are one of the few out of all the Jeeps guys I hang with that are not leaking so far in the front...
we'll see.
Yea that's crazy. I have the 2012 altitude I may ask my brother and another friend who has the Sahara and sport. What's yours?

21 - 40 of 136 Posts