Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fan (connected to motor) went out so I took it off the motor and put an electric fan switch on it..well it will come on when the motor reaches a certain temp but I want it to run whenever the switch is on so the motor will stay cooler. Any ideas? Thought about runnin it to the ignition switch but not sure how

·
Registered
423 Posts
Is there a reason you want it to run cooler? The engine should run at a certain temp (whatever temp your thermostat is that allows coolant to flow through the engine). When you turn your vehicle on, you want it to heat up to operating temperature as quickly as possible so that it runs as it should. You most likely have a 195 degree thermostat, so when the engine gets to 195 degrees, the thermostat opens and coolant maintains that temperature, additionally, the fan should come on at 195 and cool the coolant. In this manner, your engine should run at a constant 195 degrees once warmed up. If it is overheating past this, than your water pump may need replacing, your fan may be undersized/powered, your radiator could be bad, you could have head gasket issues, your transmission (if automatic) could be overheating and thus overheating the radiator, etc...

Running the engine cooler than it is designed to run at is not good for the motor or performance... Also, when you are on the highway and going fast, the air flow takes over the fans job and the fan sometimes shuts off because it is not needed. This is good, because when the fan is not running, then it is not drawing amps from your alternator, and thus your engine has that much less resistance and more power....

·
Registered
483 Posts
go to summit racein and look up fan speed controler u will put a probe in the radiator that will activate the fan at 195 like brd said but your engin should run about 210 would go ahead and change t stat to 180 or 160

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe my thermostat is bad or my gauge don't read right..gonna buy a new thermostat cuz they ain't that expensive..

My gauge reads about 230 and I know most of em have the 195 thermostat. So I'm gonna buy a new one and if that dont work I'll probably have to get a new gauge or somethn

·
Registered
142 Posts
Have you flushed the system? If you replace the tstat I would flush it before I put the new one in. Drain the coolant fill with water most of the way and put about a cup of borax laundry detergent in then top it of and let it run till it reaches op temp then shut off and let it cool. After cooled take bottom and top hose off radiator and drain, then run water through radiator to flush any borax and gunk out. After radiator is cleaned out bend top tube up and run the water in it to flush motor, then install new tstat and reconnect hose and fill with coolant.

Borax works great on flushing it out, ford recommends to use it to clean there coolant systems.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Yep Borax powder is amazing at removing rust and sludge buildup in your cooling system, careful with the amount added tho, if the radiator is old, it might eat right thru the cooling tubes and you end up with a bigger problem on your hands.

Happened to me with the heater core. But its a good way to find out what is the weak link in the system. It just let me know that the core was on its last leg and was needing replaced.

I have used borax powder to clean many different items.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts