Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'05 Sport

I've mentioned before the issues I've had with the clutch "safety" switch in the starter circuit. The saga continues. Insight appreciated...

As recommended, unplugged the switch last night. No start. Put a fuse in slot 28 (the one properly marked; I could be wrong about the number). No start. Plugged the clutch switch back in, and it starts, with or without the clutch.

It gets a little deeper: the 4WD light immediately came on, and stayed on all day today. Confirmed (in sand) that it is NOT continuously in 4WD, and both 4-hi and 4-lo work as intended. Just the light is wrong.

So "resetting" that switch cures one issue, but (re-) causes another. I'm not 100% sure, but I think when I originally installed the fuse to bypass that "safety" switch, that's pretty darn close to when I had the issue with the 4WD light before. And when that fuse solution stopped working was about the same time the 4WD light went off.

Certainly this isn't a major issue, but at the same time, I can't help but wonder if I have a ground issue somewhere. It's been my experience with motorcycles (I'm fairly new to Jeeps) that "weird" issues are often ground related...

Any insight greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<tumbleweed>

So new stuff here. Labor Day, ran the stereo for 8+ hours and it started right up after. Halloween party last weekend, ran it about 2 hours and wouldn't start. Cleaned up the slightly corroded terminals an greased them, took a 30min ride, and all is well.

However, 4wd light now functioning properly. And won't start without pushing the clutch, despite the 20A fuse still being in the proper slot. (See previous post for reference to both of these)

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Pulling the battery terminals will have cleared any stored codes in the PCM... Could be that the reset was needed to get things functioning normally again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts