Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I recently added aux reverse lights to the bumper of my 08 JKU. I a Bosch-style relay, 12v fused from the battery, spliced into the pass side reverse light positive and grounded directly to the frame. Funny thing is, although the lights work properly while in reverse, they will periodically stay ON even while the vehicle is in park!
I have had a few occasions before the light install where it would not start although there is obviously enough battery charge. Those instances were remedied by moving the shifter through the great range with the key in the ACC position and foot on the brake.
I believe the lights staying on after the vehicle is in park is a symptom of the other situation, however I am not sure what would cause the initial issue...
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok just going off what you said and taking for grated that it is wired correctly , I would guess you have one of two problems , either the relay is sticking because its defective or cheap , I don't know the Bosch relay off hand, or your over heating your relay by running to much current through it to power the two light,
I would add a second relay one for each back up light to see if that fixes it or isolates it to one side,

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I double checked that the relay is wired correctly (in terms of the four wires on the correct terminals...) And there is a 30a fuse in the 12v hot from the battery so sending too much voltage shouldn't be an issue... I will swap out the relay when I take it apart again (I believe it was a Triton brand.)
I'm thinking due to the random occurrences (as well as the random starting issues...) This may be something more like a neutral safety switch type issue... Not even sure if the JKU has one...

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
There are different amp ratings for relays. Make sure your relay is rated high enough for the lights you are running.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I double checked that the relay is wired correctly (in terms of the four wires on the correct terminals...) And there is a 30a fuse in the 12v hot from the battery so sending too much voltage shouldn't be an issue... I will swap out the relay when I take it apart again (I believe it was a Triton brand.)
I'm thinking due to the random occurrences (as well as the random starting issues...) This may be something more like a neutral safety switch type issue... Not even sure if the JKU has one...
Transmission range sensor is the new-fangled name for neutral safety switch supposedly... Any thoughts?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts