Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2005 Unlimited Rubicon and some times when I turn it off the radio comes on, also sometimes when I put the key in to start it the radio will come on. Also the windshield wipers still work when the key is out of the ignition. Anybody have the same experience or know what I need to do?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
An educated guess would be that you probably have a bad ignition switch.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
It sounds like you are turning the key all the way back to the last position. That is actually the acc. position. The off position is one click before that. Now the key should not come out when in the acc. position but if the key cylinder gets worn enough it will allow the key to come out. It can also possibly be the key is worn too but usually it is the cylinder. You can get a new key cylinder that comes with the parts to match it to you existing key so you will still only need 1 key for ignition & doors.

Ignition Key Lock Cylinder repair kit

Dorman Ignition Key Lock Cylinders 924-703

Replaces OEM Part Number: Chrysler 5083915AB

Beginning Year: 1998 Ending Year: 2005

Key cylinder replacement, keying to rest of locks
Chrysler Ignition Lock Cylinder Key Matching - YouTube

If you go to jeep.com & to the owners tab you can download an owner’s manual (free). It will show the key positions & has a bunch of good info.

BTW, when in the acc. position the radio works if the key is in but goes off when the key is out for some odd reason. The wipers & signals will work, key in or out.

·
Registered
597 Posts
It could also be that your key is worn out... try getting one cut by vin number(as opposed to copied from the one you have) if that key doesn't have issues have a new set cut from it...

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
No need to feel that way. The fact that I recognized what you were doing wrong should tell you that you are not the first one this has happened to. I have read more than one post like yours. Most vehicles now have the acc. position before the off position so not uncommon to get it wrong IF the key comes out that way (when it should not).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thank god I found someone with the EXACT issue I'm having! Did you replace the cylinder yet, or are you planning to? Im interested to hear how it goes...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Fyi, I replaced my cylinder and it completely fixed the problem. It feels great to have a DIY solution that costs under $50!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts